The Mental Militia Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Anybody else a fan?  (Read 2171 times)

motherbatherick

Anybody else a fan?
« on: May 03, 2007, 07:12:27 pm »

Recently, I picked up a mess o' scifi and fantasy books from this grizzled old dude at the Mile High Flea Market.  Among the tomes was all of Howard E. Carter's "Conan" series.  I am in the middle of #2, "Conan of Cimmeria". 
I use to read the comics when I was a kid, and of course, saw both movies, but have found that neither the comics, nor the flicks did Conan's character much justice at all, painting him as a mere brute, instead of the articulate barbarian of Carter's books. 
Anyway, no point to my little rant, just thought I'd profess my love for Carter's dime store fantasies.
-MB

enemyofthestate

• Banned
Re: Anybody else a fan?
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2007, 08:37:21 pm »

Conan was created by Robert E. Howard.  Are you sure you're not conflating that with Lin Carter?  He did several Conan pastiches which were included in the Ace paperbacks.

I admit it.  I like Conan. 
Mystical man values human life.  Rational man values the ability to value human life.
--Stephen Carville

Atheist   n.   A person to be pitied in that he is unable to believe things for which there is no evidence, and who has thus deprived himself of a convenient means of feeling superior to others
-- Chaz Bufe, The American Heretics Dictionary

Joel

• Just a peckerwood who lives in the hills with too many guns.
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2007, 10:49:35 am »

I read all the REH Conan books, and some of the early clones, back when I was a kid.  Like you, MB, I discovered them through the comic books which I loved.  Through the Conan books I discovered the whole "pulp" genre, especially E. E. Smith.  Which, in turn, destroyed my brain and made me the wreck I am.
Yet another Freedomista blog: The Ultimate Answer to Kings is not a bullet, but a belly laugh.

padre29

• Cavaliere d' Onore
  • Civily Dead
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2007, 12:15:19 pm »

The Conan series was pretty good, I enjoyed reading them, for a real change of pace on older fiction, try reading Edgar Rice Burroughs Tarzan series.
Video in Venitur

Gotblog?

http://tthelastcause.blogspot.com/

motherbatherick

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2007, 08:26:47 pm »

Conan was created by Robert E. Howard.  Are you sure you're not conflating that with Lin Carter?  He did several Conan pastiches which were included in the Ace paperbacks.

I admit it.  I like Conan. 
Oops, yeah you got me.  Had a brainfart.  I was thinking Lin Carter for some reason.

Roy J. Tellason

• Techy Kinda Guy and Serious Bookaholic
    • Roy J. Tellason's Home Page
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2007, 12:31:30 am »

The Conan series was pretty good, I enjoyed reading them, for a real change of pace on older fiction, try reading Edgar Rice Burroughs Tarzan series.

Funny you should mention that as that's who I thought of when I first saw this thread.  There was one point in time when I was a kid that I had all the ERB stuff I could get my hands on,  Tarzan,  the mars books,  Pellucidar,  whatever.

Nice thing about that is that bunches of that stuff is online now.  Gutenberg project?  I forget where I saw 'em.
Member of the toughest, meanest, deadliest, most unrelenting -- and ablest -- form of life in this section of space,  a critter that can be killed but can't be tamed.  --Robert A. Heinlein, "The Puppet Masters"
--
Information is more dangerous than cannon to a society ruled by lies. --James M Dakin
Pages: [1]   Go Up