The Mental Militia Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Another Novel  (Read 1726 times)

George Potter

Another Novel
« on: April 25, 2007, 01:20:05 am »

My current resolution is to work on projects that are most likely to bring me filthy lucre. In the literary world that means almost invariably novels, and novels of certain types. The Crumbler being an epic modern fantasy, is such a type.

Today I started work on what I'm thinking of as a 'backup novel'. This is something to work on when I am feeling temporarily sick and tired of my primary project. I wanted it to be as different in tone and style from The Crumbler as possible.

I set myself some goals:

1) Fairly short, under 100,000 words.

2) Small cast. Three main characters, along the classic dramatic line of Villain, Victim, Rescuer, with adequate wiggle room to allow for reversal among those three archetypes.

3) Primarily action-centric.

4)Mainstream in the sense of no fantastical of SF-nal elements.

5) Libertarian or at least anti-statist.

In my outline for The Crumbler there was a theme I wanted to explore but had to cut out for length and flow reasons. That theme was the nature of chivalry and whether or not it can exist in the modern world. My answer is that it can, but it bears very little resemblence to the old romantic ideal. I wanted to take the concepts of 'faith and fealty selflessly expressed' and render them realistic in a modern context.

I settled on the subtheme of obsession as my mechanism. This allows me to play with concept such as Maiden In Danger, blackgaurd and knight errant in an edgy, violent context.

Simple, spoiler free synopsis: DEA agent busts a drug dealer, killing him in the process. Dealer's girlfriend flees with money and stash. DEA agent (not entirely sane) gives chase and rapidly makes this a personal obsession. Girlfriend turns to ex-suitor for aid: a loner 'gun-nut' who views the world with a bizarre mixture of ancient Romanticism and Special Forces tactics.

Fireworks ensue.

It is basically a psychological action chase thriller. From page one till the end, I don't want the pace to let up. I plan on sending it to folks here in order to keep the gun/explosive/etc. details on track and as realistic as possible. Let me know if you'd like to help. :)

The title is Knight Moves.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2007, 01:24:23 am by Gloryroad »

TooTallDawkins

Re: Another Novel
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2007, 10:49:05 am »

It sounds very interesting. I look forward to your special way of handling the subject.

Shorty

Ghost

Re: Another Novel
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2007, 12:53:31 am »

Hope you get this done in a year so I can read it on the ocean!

Pages: [1]   Go Up