The Mental Militia Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Coffee Lobotomy  (Read 2675 times)

Bill St. Clair

• Techie
    • End the War on Freedom
Coffee Lobotomy
« on: March 30, 2007, 08:47:51 am »

I've been sick for the past week. Spent Monday afternoon through yesterday in bed. Low energy, but my major disease was an inability to think. I wrote an essay about it:

http://imacpr0n.com/blog/stories/coffeelobotomy.html
"The state can only survive as long as a majority is programmed to believe that theft isn't wrong if it's called taxation or asset forfeiture or eminent domain, that assault and kidnapping isn't wrong if it's called arrest, that mass murder isn't wrong if it's called war." -- Bill St. Clair

"Separation of Earth and state!" -- Bill St. Clair

Mr. Bill

Re: Coffee Lobotomy
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2007, 12:40:21 pm »

Congratulations on your recovery.  Speaking from my own experience, you might want to get a blood test, specifically including hormone levels (thyroid and your preferred sex hormone), glucose, hemoglobin A1C (related to glucose levels), and whatever else your doctor can think of.  I don't know what age you are, but you're probably aging at the same rate as me (unless you live in Fresno), and I can certify that aging does strange and annoying things to the body's biochemistry.

the small one

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2007, 07:57:37 pm »

Hey BSC, next time mebbe you could try to taper off.  It's easier on your system, and once down to none you could still eschew coffee for the length of time you need to, to show yourself you're in control.  But really, with anything your body comes to depend on it is usually less of a shock and may save you a lot of grief to cut the amount in half for a few days, and then half again before completely going dry no-caffeine.  This is the approach to use with alcoholics, and with people who have been treated with antidepressants.  With caffeine withdrawal tapering helps to avoid all the noxious symptoms.    I enjoyed your blog!  :icon_pale: Sorry you have been feeling so down; hope it was just the coffee.

And as Mr. Bill said, since we all are aging as we go, some day it may really be too tough on your system to do it the hard way.  Just a thought.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2007, 07:59:44 pm by the small one »

Manatee

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2007, 10:40:48 pm »

I've been sick for the past week. Spent Monday afternoon through yesterday in bed. Low energy, but my major disease was an inability to think. I wrote an essay about it:

http://imacpr0n.com/blog/stories/coffeelobotomy.html

I see you mentioned depression on your blog, along a "slowing down" (my wording) of the mental proccesses, both of which lead me to ask a question; have you ever had inflicted upon yourself some sort of upper-spinal/neck/head trauma (such as being rear-ended by some drunk S.O.B., as was I, back in the end of 1989)?

To make a long story short, it was right around the time of dusk, and I was stopped at a Yield sign waiting for highway ingress; right foot hard on brake pedal, when I was suddenly slammed in the base of my skull by what, at the time, I (have) described "as a 20 pound sledgehammer".

Vision (in front of eyes) cut out, and I saw stars, then "that awful feeling of a hydraulic piston pounding into the base of my skull". Well, for the next week or so, I had a stiff neck, also dizzyness, vertigo, some nausea, and so forth. But, after a week or so's time, the physical effects seemed to dissapear, and I forgot about the incident.

Some 6-8 months later, began personality changes, and before 10 months were up, began the episodes pf "depression"; 2-4 days of feeling as if "something" is going to happen, then "it" hits, after which a day to 3 of winding down.

That was nearly 20 years ago, and both my physio (energy, ability to "think", & "comprehend", et cetera) & my "physiological" situtation have not improved; quite the contrary. What much of the world refers to as "psych" is not that, rather (it is) an injured physio; see symptoms/manifestations, and, sans a visible cause, the visible goings-on are thought to be "it's all in the mind". DON'T fall for that (so-called) diagnosis. Please. "Psych" does not always mean "psych".

I offer a few urls (see below), that you might wish to research Neurology. This dip into Wikipedia has sure proved invaluable to me.

Neurology - Wikipedia
Headache disorders - Wikipedia

In addition, the following (the only medication which, over the past 30 or so years, which I have found that effectively treats my "depression", in 5mg pill doses):

Zolmitriptan - Google Search

Browse freely {g}. And as a parting shot, there has been made mention about, over the years, of people who have recovered from some sort of "flu" (in my case, I occasionally refer to the "Rubella" of 1968, when a doctor hereabouts told us, after I'd come down with some serious joint aches & pains, that I didn't have the thing full-blown, but, rather, "10% of it". I was eight years old at the time; perhaps my growing brain was affected in the most infinitesimal of ways. But who really can say; it's been nearly 40 years).

Good luck, Bill, in your quest for a sound "mind"    :sign13: :angel11:

saltydog

« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2007, 05:50:26 am »

Bill - I recommend you supplement your "fast" with plenty of high quality chocolates which will effectively treat your depression - dark is the only way to go. You could take the easy way out and consume several Mt. Dews per day as an alternative but then I am not sure how your legs would look in board shorts.

Bill St. Clair

• Techie
    • End the War on Freedom
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2007, 06:27:15 am »

Thanks for the recommendations, folks. The depression disappeared with the return of my full brain function. I DO tend to get bouts of it, but they don't tend to be bad or long these days, when not doing the first three days of coffee withdrawal.

I like your chocolate suggestion, saltydog. Milk chocolate? Horrors. That isn't chocolate. Dark is indeed the only way to go.
"The state can only survive as long as a majority is programmed to believe that theft isn't wrong if it's called taxation or asset forfeiture or eminent domain, that assault and kidnapping isn't wrong if it's called arrest, that mass murder isn't wrong if it's called war." -- Bill St. Clair

"Separation of Earth and state!" -- Bill St. Clair
Pages: [1]   Go Up