The Mental Militia Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: The Crumbler: Book I - Six Sides  (Read 14543 times)

Vrsovice Rebel

Re: The Crumbler: Book I - Six Sides
« Reply #45 on: April 29, 2007, 02:57:11 pm »

Dayum, GR, that's good shit. Every time I read your work, I'm reminded of how far I have yet to come as a writer.
May God bless and keep the Tsar...far away from us!

My life, not yours, piss off!

Joel

• Just a peckerwood who lives in the hills with too many guns.
« Reply #46 on: April 30, 2007, 10:34:05 am »

"It means remembering that your alive, and curious and..."

It wasn't his imagination. Their faces were closer. Kelly's cocked at an angle. Her eyes gleamed. Her voice was a whisper. "Yeah?"

His was as quiet. "And after that realization, anything might happen."

Her eyes closed slowly. She moved towards him.

"And that's why dancing is a sin." he managed before the kiss happened.

It lasted a nice long time.

Sweet.  Spot-on pacing.

I can't wait to read this, dude.
Yet another Freedomista blog: The Ultimate Answer to Kings is not a bullet, but a belly laugh.

Roy J. Tellason

• Techy Kinda Guy and Serious Bookaholic
    • Roy J. Tellason's Home Page
« Reply #47 on: April 30, 2007, 11:29:14 pm »

"It means remembering that your alive, and curious and..."

It wasn't his imagination. Their faces were closer. Kelly's cocked at an angle. Her eyes gleamed. Her voice was a whisper. "Yeah?"

His was as quiet. "And after that realization, anything might happen."

Her eyes closed slowly. She moved towards him.

"And that's why dancing is a sin." he managed before the kiss happened.

It lasted a nice long time.

Sweet.  Spot-on pacing.

I can't wait to read this, dude.

I am rather looking forward to subsequent installments of it myself.  :-)

Every time I see this thread pop up in the "unread posts since last visit" listing,  I wonder if I have more of it to read or more comments on what's already been posted.  Oh well,  next time maybe?
Member of the toughest, meanest, deadliest, most unrelenting -- and ablest -- form of life in this section of space,  a critter that can be killed but can't be tamed.  --Robert A. Heinlein, "The Puppet Masters"
--
Information is more dangerous than cannon to a society ruled by lies. --James M Dakin

George Potter

« Reply #48 on: May 15, 2007, 01:34:51 am »

The first/rough draft is DONE!  ^_^ ^_^ ^_^  It clocks in at just over 93,000 words. I'm estimating that second and third drafts will add a good 35,000-40,000 to it. But the skeleton and all the major scenes are there.

To be honest, I'm absolutely flabbergasted at how the fucking thing ended. I'm happy that there is no set up for any sort of sequel, though. All through the last 20 k I was afraid my brain was going to take the easy path and leave an out. Nope.

I plan on concentrating on finishing/polishing chapters 4-6 and getting them in postable form. I'm also going to have to go back over the first three chapters and make a few minor changes to match what the story evolved into as it progressed.

Then I'm gonna take a nice break from it and let it mellow.

Whew.

:mellow:

Roy J. Tellason

• Techy Kinda Guy and Serious Bookaholic
    • Roy J. Tellason's Home Page
« Reply #49 on: May 15, 2007, 02:35:03 am »

I'm looking forward to reading it,  when it gets here...
Member of the toughest, meanest, deadliest, most unrelenting -- and ablest -- form of life in this section of space,  a critter that can be killed but can't be tamed.  --Robert A. Heinlein, "The Puppet Masters"
--
Information is more dangerous than cannon to a society ruled by lies. --James M Dakin

George Potter

« Reply #50 on: May 16, 2007, 04:26:17 pm »

Forcing myself to bang out 2000 or more words a day focused on a single story was an interesting experience and it taught me a lot about how my brain worked:

My brain is a sneaky, seditious, rebellious asshole.

For example, three times in the writing process I found myself thousands of words into completely unrelated short fiction. I generally didn't realize this until I was past the point of no return. While this annoyed me by slowing the novel-writing down, I must admit that all three stories are pretty damn good. They're also things I would never have written conciously and without the nebulous atmosphere of the novel in progress and its many strange themes and characters.

The longest (and best, IMO) veers scarily close to erotic fantasy. It would be erotic fantasy in fact, if not for the fact that I refuse to write sex scenes. Instead, The Queen Of Summer is something much better: a tale of loyalty, a paen to the wild summers of my youth, and a tribute to young people defying authority in an organic, deeply felt, utterly unplanned manner. Stylistically, it may be the best thing I've ever written.

The other two are more traditional horror stories. While I consider both clever, they'll be tossed to the back of the pile for polishing and tweaking.

While I may never conciously sit down to write another novel (the process, for the most part, was maddening. The continuity alone is going to take me months to sort out. Thankfully, I'll have help with that. :)), I might jump into the process again just for the framework to write more short fiction.

Onward to world domination! :D

Joel

• Just a peckerwood who lives in the hills with too many guns.
« Reply #51 on: May 16, 2007, 04:28:15 pm »

Need an editor?  Do ya?  Huh? Do ya?
Yet another Freedomista blog: The Ultimate Answer to Kings is not a bullet, but a belly laugh.

George Potter

« Reply #52 on: May 16, 2007, 04:34:21 pm »

Need an editor?  Do ya?  Huh? Do ya?

Got one, actually. The lovely Astoria (also the brilliant artist who designed the micropiece themed covers) volunteered a while back. She's worked with me before: turning The Liberators into a much tighter, focused piece than the original rambling draft.

Don't worry Joel: as soon as I get a complete 2nd draft (all dialouge added and all *add more* and *expand* notes followed) I plan on sending you, Claire, Bill, Plinker, Jac and a few others the full manuscript for critique and review. :)
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up