The Mental Militia Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: planning for TSHTF  (Read 62704 times)

slidemansailor

• A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves
    • The Bitterroot Bugle
Re: planning for TSHTF
« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2008, 07:35:43 pm »

Some of the stuff I've stored with the intent on sharing if necessary.
I may have to rent an excavator to expand my compost pit downward.
Mostly I think I'll be a good neighbor and have good neighbors.
Unfortunately we are in limbo and merely hoping the move will come soon.
If you don't work for liberty,  you don't get it.

http://BitterrootBugle.com/

Rarick

• Rarick in the Gulch-O-Dome did decree.......
« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2008, 12:35:27 am »

A Duffle Bag in your back seat of your car filled with clothing, non perishable foods....

Also learn the back roads and other access points just in case the JBT's set up road blocks

A Good Pair of Hiking Boots, A Rain Poncho, and several Army Survival/Boy Scout Manuals will do the trick

A Good Canteen

A Compass

Because the day may come when you'll have to fend for yourself and live off the land ala Daniel Boone

Learning the back roads is good- but you will need to use them before the herd and TPTB discover them and close them.  It would only take a day or two for the roads to close- another day or so as TPTB start "following the herd" closing routes around the roadblocks. 24-48 hours is what you got before you will have to stay in place.

Yes you have to be prepared to get totally hunter gatherer until you reach "home"  you want to do that as quick as possible so you are able to hold your property against the "smart sheep".   That is the TEOTWAWKI scenario tho"

The personal SHTF is the same coping mechanisms that the herd uses- job search- go to family for a couple of months- Etc.  It is a case of simple "having a bit put by".
........Duct tape is like the force, it has a light side, a darkside and holds the universe together.  It is theoretically reinforced with strings too.  (The dome has a darkside, lightside and strings of rebar for reinforcement too!)
-------------------------------------------
Most of the time news is about the same old violations of the first principles of consent and golden rule with a dash of force thrown in........ with just enough duct tape to be believable.

Get Ready

« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2008, 10:55:45 am »

No slam to anybody in here....just some advice, and since its from me...not worth much! ;)

How many around here hunt?  If your not a hunter, nor have never hunted, YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO "LIVE" OFF THE LAND. At least, not long.
If TSHTF, it won't be long and EVERYBODY WILL BE LIVING OFF OF THE LAND. The food on the shelves won't last long.

SlideManSailor-You might have to defend yourself from those very same neighbors....but I agree with what you said.

Yes, but most people will not know what to do with an animal, if they manage to kill one. If they kill one, they will wonder when the meat will start falling off and turning into hambuger. ^_^

clarence

• sui juris, in propia persona
« Reply #18 on: July 22, 2008, 02:06:10 am »

Hello all,

First time poster, long-time lurker.

I didn't seem to be able to create a new thread, so, if you allow me to, I'd like to make a tangent of this one.

I'm seeking opinions from like-minded Patriots, "Self-Sufficiency Ethusiasts", Gun-Nuts, etc... about  possible options in which to take in relation to our deteriorating economic situation here in the U.S.

Basically, I'm relatively a young'n... 20 years old... And after realizing that in any massive SHTF scenario, my lack of social and economic capital... and skills, that I'd be a massive drain and liability for my community and the people I love, I am split in between two possible paths to remedy this:

[1] Become an EMT and eventually a Paramedic. This would allow me to learn a valuable skill and have an essential job in a SHTF scenario, while still maintaining the freedoms of a civilian.

[2] Become a Damage Controlman in the U.S. Coast Guard. Damage Controlmen are the "Jack of All Trades" of the Coast Guard, being taught plumbing, carpentry, welding, CRBNE training, firefighter training, etc. Later on, I would be eligible for Emergency Medical, Technical Rescue and Law Enforcement/Firearms training. The unfortunate part about this is that I really don't have any knowledge about how historically, military personnel have fared in economic downturns.

So that is the basic outline of my situation. Opinions are welcomed and sought. Thank you.

- Gerry

first, welcome to the forums. the forum has a limit on people starting threads to keep spammers off. keep posting and you'll get to start threads.

second, there is a lot of room for discussion here.

third, the idea of getting medical training is always good. and becoming part of your community is a better idea. many places will allow you to get your training without cost to yourself except for the time and effort you put into it.

fourth, avoid the military. again, avoid the military. you may think:" the coast guard isn't the regular military." but, it is and will be used like the standing army when things go south. then you will be under the thumb of those who will not have your best interest anywhere near their minds. or the interests of those they will call on you to fight here in this country.

clarence

je suis contre

tu ne cede malis

"Don't feel bad, most species of large mammal die off...it's just our turn." Herb Ruhs, MD

cowardly lion

« Reply #19 on: July 22, 2008, 12:49:38 pm »

Hello Gerry, and welcome.

I second Clarence's thoughts, on both medical training and avoiding the military.

Any kind of hands-on work you can learn will be useful, and working on human body, esp in emergency situations, is an excellent skill to have.  Other than that, and I don't know your specific environment, but knowledge and experience in electrical, construction, plumbing work, etc, will always be useful.

If you don't want to be a drain, then learn and practice some skills, any skills that would be useful post-SHTF, and if you need ideas, these fora are a good place to begin.

You don't mention your education to the present, or how 'trainable' you are, so it's tough to recommend a specific course of action.  Learn as much as you can about how your community works right now, so when-not-if TSHTF you know where to turn to coordinate resources with needs. 

Drop in on your city- or county-council meetings (or whatever local gov't looks like where you are) and be interested in what they're doing.  Do this several months in a row and you can begin to ask intelligent questions, and they'll begin to recognize you as someone with the smarts to listen to when you have constructive suggestions.  Maybe within a few years (if we have that long) you can run for a position on that board and begin to tack it in the direction of more flexibility and self-reliance in case of emergency.

Find a place to shoot (you *do* shoot, don't you? - If not, find someone who does and get started) and begin taking one or two friends at a time out for a half-hour of plinking at tin cans for fun.  Be sure you emphasize safety and usefulness.

Start building a library of freedom and liberty oriented books, read them and learn how to use their ideas in real-life settings.  Come up with new uses, and share them with this forum and any others you find supportive.  If you don't like to read, there are a number of good series/movies that promote freedom - Firefly, Serenity, V for Vendetta, others.

Again, I don't know your environment, so I don't know how $10/gal gasoline would affect you, but think about that and begin to plan for it.  And remember, it's not just transportation, but groceries and employment that affects.  I'm currently in the automotive supply business, so I'm working on a Plan B right now.

Ooops.  I've kind of gone on for a while, and I may have overstepped your primary question on which path to take, but I got caught up in your fear of being a drain on family and community and addressed that issue.

cl
Sic semper tyrannis, baby!    - Joel Simon

As much as we may not want to consider it, we must have a mindset that enables us to do instant and devastating violence in defense of self and/or loved ones.   -Dave Champion

It's not unusual to run into folks in the internet that are dense enough to have event horizons.

Remember, remember, the fifth of November . . . .

Don't mistake my silence for weakness - no one plans a murder out loud.

cowardly lion

« Reply #20 on: July 23, 2008, 08:08:02 am »

quasi-rebellion is better than no rebellion at all . . . .     :laugh:

cl
Sic semper tyrannis, baby!    - Joel Simon

As much as we may not want to consider it, we must have a mindset that enables us to do instant and devastating violence in defense of self and/or loved ones.   -Dave Champion

It's not unusual to run into folks in the internet that are dense enough to have event horizons.

Remember, remember, the fifth of November . . . .

Don't mistake my silence for weakness - no one plans a murder out loud.

amagi

« Reply #21 on: July 23, 2008, 09:08:30 am »

I wouldn't worry so much about direction as about education.  This TEOTWAWKI thing is taking a long time.  What do you like?  If survivalism is it, try to find a way to make a living that way.  Do you like medicine or think it will be useful?  If you like it, go to nursing school.  It doesn't take very long and I would hope they cover the EMT basics right away.  And nurses always have work. Are you limited to Mcdonalds for work?  Haunt the local library and bookstore.
I have to believe thereare like minded people in North Carolina.  It seems like a hot bed of sorts. :)  Check out meetup.com.  Find some real people. The gun range could be a place to start.  They might need someone to mow the lawn and pick up garbage. Or the bookstore might.

Definitely DON'T join the coast guard.  Maybe in the 80's it was a good idea to get your education, but now we are a nation at war with several other nations.  Don't join up unless you want to go out and kill people, cause that is what you will be trained to do and expected to do.
Good luck to you.  Keep reading.
Check out Niel Stevenson for some role models.
"I also find myself on fairly firm ground identifying good and evil without resorting to my opinion of God's opinion"
LJer Tigertoy

Kwihi

« Reply #22 on: July 25, 2008, 06:18:12 pm »

Now I drag in another thread on this forum regarding personality types as defined by: http://www.humanmetrics.com/cgi-win/JTypes1.htm.

The "Masterminds" (Introverted iNtuitive Thinking Judging) though rare, are heavily represented in this forum.  Obviously they are going to work for liberty. 

Maybe this isn't the place for this post but I just joined this forum today and have been looking over the threads and messages, learning a lot as I wander around.

Found this thread, took the Humanmetrics personality test and am eerily spooked to find that I am an ISTJ personality type.

I guess I have come to the right place.   

Will go back to lurking now. 

armedanddangerous

« Reply #23 on: July 27, 2008, 01:57:53 am »

If you live in the country, one can learn a lot of really important skills if your get involved in a volunteer fire dept.

They will take anyone interested in learning and give them rescue skills, first responder medical skills, the knowledge to rescue folks stuck in wrecked autos and under collapsed structures and other get out ass out of trouble alive skills.

Here theyre also experts on search and rescue in the backwoods, as well as swift water rescue if a flood comes.

And the best part is, if the dept has its act together and works hard to get funding, all this training is free and you will be able to be equipped with a lot of essential lifesaving gear you might not be able to afford otherwise.

Almost as important is, a VFD is a band of brothers. If you join up, do your part to be a part of the group and make a good impression on the department, they will be there to help if you need it. It is essentially a ready made second family. God forbid if it all hits the fan for a day a week, month or year, the group will probably stick together to protect the community and the property therein.

Roy J. Tellason

• Techy Kinda Guy and Serious Bookaholic
    • Roy J. Tellason's Home Page
« Reply #24 on: July 27, 2008, 01:38:24 pm »

Since we have a couple of new folks in here,  I'll say something I've said a couple of other times elsewhere -- go and read all those old threads!  You'll get a *much* better idea of what this place is all about,  who the people are that are in here, and stumble across all sorts of good info in the process.

Yeah,  it'll take a while,  but it's worth it.  :-)

(Just my opinion,  for whatever it's worth.)
Member of the toughest, meanest, deadliest, most unrelenting -- and ablest -- form of life in this section of space,  a critter that can be killed but can't be tamed.  --Robert A. Heinlein, "The Puppet Masters"
--
Information is more dangerous than cannon to a society ruled by lies. --James M Dakin

JJ

• Old JBT
« Reply #25 on: August 01, 2008, 09:00:25 pm »

Okay folks... another first-timer here...one a bit disheartened by some of the comments on this post. I wonder, of those of you warning about joining the military... were any of you enlisted or commissioned in any branch of service. I suspect not, or if you were, you weren't "in" for long. I was, I retired pretty close to as high as you could go and am here to tell you some of the conversations I took part in would scare the bejesus out of the denizens of the 5-sided-cesspool and the garden patch across the Potomac... I'm retired, one of my sons a survivor of Uncle Sam's Misguided Children trips to both war zones, and he reiterated what I heard in my time. I am utterly certain a LARGE portion of the ACTIVE DUTY military would turn on their commanders or ignore any order to go after the civilian populace within the US. Add that to the Guard and Reserve either refusing call-up or turning as well and it would make for another "Great War of Northern Aggression." Yes, they would put bayonets in the streets if ordered, but - and this is a BIG but, they would only go so far.  Ya'll may disagree or I may be wrong, but I'll bet on what I saw, heard, and said. 

For my money, anyone looking for "free" training, education, and experience to apply on the outside SHOULD do a stint in the service. I would avoid the Army or USMC simply based on what others have said was their rationale for seeking the training. The Guard is a no-go simply because of the behind the scenes wheeling and dealing Governors are doing to make deals to their political benefit with THE Gov. On the other hand the Reserves are a good way to get what you're looking for and still live at home. Now, before anyone jumps- take a hard look at just who in the reserves is getting sent to Iraq or Afghanistan.  The vast majority of career fields just don't go, especially with the politically correct draw-down with Nov coming.

I've helped two young folks choose this route. They're both home with their friends with no aspect of going anywhere soon. Oh, one is volunteering for a trip to California to fight the fires- of course, he is a fireman so it figures.

SORRY IF I'M OFF ON A TANGENT HERE, like he said a lurker here who just never had anything to say until now- back to my Lee Turret Press...

On the side I'm and ENFJ..I was an ENFP but I guess we all evolve. I was first administered the Myers-Briggs Type Indicator test when Stormin' Norman was setting up his staffs for the first gulf war.

Whew- I jumped so fast I never even set up a signature block

Raised a wolf-
Now a retired sheep dog – still looking after the Sheeple…

Bear

• Curious Bear
« Reply #26 on: August 02, 2008, 12:15:35 am »

I am utterly certain a LARGE portion of the ACTIVE DUTY military would turn on their commanders or ignore any order to go after the civilian populace within the US. Add that to the Guard and Reserve either refusing call-up or turning as well and it would make for another "Great War of Northern Aggression." Yes, they would put bayonets in the streets if ordered, but - and this is a BIG but, they would only go so far.  Ya'll may disagree or I may be wrong, but I'll bet on what I saw, heard, and said.

JJ,

I hope you're right. I really do.

However, if I recall, the 82nd Airborne was called in for Katrina, and went door-to-door disarming law abiding Americans. The young officer in charge
that was interviewed by a reporter had misgivings about the whole operation, but he did follow orders. I can hope that the whole circus gave him food
for thought, so that the next time he's faced with that situation, he will have decided ahead of time where his own personal 'line in the sand' is.

What does a soldier do when there is a conflict between defending the constitution and obeying orders from a superior? If justice is consistent, we see
from the Nurenburg trials after WW2 that "I was just following orders" was not a valid excuse for avoiding responsibility for war crimes then, and won't
be in the future. Is this sort of thing ever discussed formally? What kind of message are the troops getting?

Bear

"There is no good idea so perfect, so pure,
that Government can't do it badly."
-- Bear

JJ

• Old JBT
« Reply #27 on: August 02, 2008, 12:11:11 pm »

Bear I could try and make an arguement about the circumstances surrounding the Katrina debacle, but perception is reality and the curent perception is that all cops and grunts went door-kicking and took everybodys guns and herded them to a crowded dome. Not true, but clearly a common perception and thus there is little you can do to dispell it. It's kind'a like the M16/M4 - 5.56mm stories. There are A LOT of stories, a lot of anecdotal evidence, but very little empirical evidence or proof. Darn few SITREPS  or mission reports showing US or increasingly, friendly Iraqis dying because the round didn't put the bad guy down with one shot. Heck, I was taught to double-tap with an M14. In the Big Easy there were too many PROVEN cases of overzealous obediance to orders - but there were also cases of officers saying 'NO" and NCOs telling civilians to keep their guns outta sight until needed. Moles hey?!

As far as the "I was only following orders-" "defence" goes- I used to do post checks and one of my old favorites was to ask young enlisted and NCOs about the articles of the Code of Conduct. The sixth and final article, drummed into every Soldier, Marine and Airman (ain't sure about Sailors - never was one and wasn't around many to know) from Basic Training through the ranks in professional military education says:

"Article VI

I will never forget that I am an American, fighting for freedom, responsible for my actions, and dedicated to the principles which made my country free. I will trust in my God and in the United States of America."

The Code was specifically written to do two things. 1) Eliminate the feeling captured soldiers must die before divulging anything harmful to the American cause...it just asks you to hold out as long as you can, then 2) it reminds you that no matter what you do, only you are responsible for your actions. Whether they be as a prisoner OR when faced with another My Lai. And I DO mean drummed into their heads... these articles along with the "Standing Orders" are about the first thing young enlistees have to learn in Basic Training... right behind their service number and before their names. On the commissioned side, the Code and the reasons for each of the six articles are discussed, studied, and written about through-out their formal training. I really think the only people who push personal responsibility more are the Germans who are STILL trying to atone for WWII and the things that led to Nurnberg. 

Now I KNOW I'm off on a tangent from the original reason for the post my apoligize to you all, I'll take a pill.

To prepare for TSTHTF personally, I carry concealed (Glock G23 W/3 mags) daily. My wife has her G23 next the bed with 3 and carries a "Pink Lady" in her purse. My M4 with a bug-out ammo pouch is RTG. Her M4 is the same. There's a Shotgun handy with bandolier as needed.  I live rural and raise horses (4WDs run on gas...which will be in short supply after TEOTWAWKI and I'm gettin' to old for shanks mare). My reloading setup is portable being very careful with the primers. By X-mas barring it happening sooner I'll have 1 years supply for 2 stored. We both have bug-out bags in our vehicles that'll give us 3 days with enough at home to go 7-21 days quickly available adjusted for available transport. Along with this is a pioneer kit that is horse transportable. I can pare it down in the event we lose our mounts. My neighbors are mostly farm-types to multiple generations. I suspect I'll be able to trade "services" and reloads for what I can't get if we evac in place (hunker in the bunker). In the event of a long-range bug-out, maps and non-electronic land nav setups are ready to go. NONE of this cost a great deal when bought over time. You can get a nice former Euro-cop 9mm SIG for less than $300 from many sources, freeze dried food is easy to find even in local stores, etc, etc. Anyone want ideas about getting transportable stuff- ask, I'll share all I know. On the the side, one  of my sons thinks I'll loan him a mount to carry his Barrett 50 which ain't happening, BMG ammo is reoadable but HEAVY - although it could deny anything short of regular armor vehicle access up our valley. Always remember...lead can always get you gold- and gold can get you lead, one way or the other. (the Sundance Kid)

Am I crazy... maybe, some tell me so. Crazy like a fox... or an Old Wolf, which was one of my callsigns in a faraway land...

Raised a wolf-
Now a retired sheep dog – still looking after the Sheeple…

vonuvan

« Reply #28 on: August 02, 2008, 12:28:52 pm »

It's the same old story, people who really need the job, following orders they know are unlawful.
The problem would be solved by prosecuting and executing those at the top of the hive.

Apple

• Strangely Attractive
  • Play the Game
    • Weapons of Mass Enlightenment
« Reply #29 on: August 02, 2008, 05:18:25 pm »

Since we have a couple of new folks in here,  I'll say something I've said a couple of other times elsewhere -- go and read all those old threads!  You'll get a *much* better idea of what this place is all about,  who the people are that are in here, and stumble across all sorts of good info in the process.

Yeah,  it'll take a while,  but it's worth it.  :-)

(Just my opinion,  for whatever it's worth.)

You know, I'm struggling to keep up as it is. But let's suppose I could double my reading effort. How far does this board go back? 2003? That means it's going to take me 5 years to read it all. "A while", yeah, that's putting it mildly :ph34r:

By the way, I've just tortured myself through the Minarchy vs Anarchy debate. Took me more than a week, and all things considered, I want a refund for my time :ph34r:

Edit: I do recommend the search function. If you have a specific question, it may have been answered already.

End thread jack, we now return to our regularly scheduled programming...
« Last Edit: August 03, 2008, 03:24:33 am by Strange Attraction »
 —Well? Shall we go?
 —Yes, let's go.
[Stage directive: they do not move.]

(last lines of “Waiting for Godot”)

PGP Key:  A2D2 B4BD CEB9 24C8 F272  16DC C1C9 65C5 39ED A0BF
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Up