The Mental Militia Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8   Go Down

Author Topic: planning for TSHTF  (Read 70014 times)

Rarick

• Rarick in the Gulch-O-Dome did decree.......
Re: planning for TSHTF
« Reply #90 on: June 29, 2010, 04:56:21 am »

I already took a bunch of those tests, a long time ago, offline, using books from a mom and pop used book place............ Oh. did I mention I can be paranoid............

It isn't a bad thing to know yourself, and these tests are of use for that.  Be cautious of who may misuse the tools against you.  That goes for trading in SHTF too, trade away OLD stuff and act like you traded for it.  A source of always NEW(er) stuff will mark you as a stockpile and target.  Displaying a skill to fix as opposed to things to take would probably be better too.  Who is going to kill the Blacksmith? aside from a seriously bent individual.  If a local community knows you have skills and are willing to trade, you have security from them, and those others that have skills you need..........Codependancy isn't all bad.  Only the modern version of it is.
........Duct tape is like the force, it has a light side, a darkside and holds the universe together.  It is theoretically reinforced with strings too.  (The dome has a darkside, lightside and strings of rebar for reinforcement too!)
-------------------------------------------
Most of the time news is about the same old violations of the first principles of consent and golden rule with a dash of force thrown in........ with just enough duct tape to be believable.

cowboy up

• Yippie-Kai-Yay!
« Reply #91 on: August 22, 2010, 08:58:08 pm »

I already took a bunch of those tests, a long time ago, offline, using books from a mom and pop used book place............ Oh. did I mention I can be paranoid............

It isn't a bad thing to know yourself, and these tests are of use for that.  Be cautious of who may misuse the tools against you.  That goes for trading in SHTF too, trade away OLD stuff and act like you traded for it.  A source of always NEW(er) stuff will mark you as a stockpile and target.  Displaying a skill to fix as opposed to things to take would probably be better too.  Who is going to kill the Blacksmith? aside from a seriously bent individual.  If a local community knows you have skills and are willing to trade, you have security from them, and those others that have skills you need..........Codependancy isn't all bad.  Only the modern version of it is.

Having been into this doomer/shtf stuff for a few years, I am convinced that it is the skillset and not necessarily the stuff that will keep you alive and maybe even doing well when the collapse comes. 

gaurdduck

« Reply #92 on: August 26, 2010, 05:46:34 am »

Having been into this doomer/shtf stuff for a few years, I am convinced that it is the skillset and not necessarily the stuff that will keep you alive and maybe even doing well when the collapse comes. 

After the initial chaos is over, I expect to do better than I am now. LOL

Rarick

« Reply #93 on: August 27, 2010, 04:06:05 am »

Yes, skillset and mindset are probably the 2 main factors.  Stuff just gives tools/ resources to make things easier.
........Duct tape is like the force, it has a light side, a darkside and holds the universe together.  It is theoretically reinforced with strings too.  (The dome has a darkside, lightside and strings of rebar for reinforcement too!)
Most of the time news is about the same old violations of the first principles of consent and golden rule with a dash of force thrown in........ with just enough duct tape to be believable.

slidemansailor

• A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves
    • The Bitterroot Bugle
« Reply #94 on: August 27, 2010, 11:17:41 am »

Yes, skillset and mindset are probably the 2 main factors.  Stuff just gives tools/ resources to make things easier.

JUST tools?  There is a HUGE difference between SlidemanSailor with his tools and SlidemanSailor without his tools.  I regret that it would darn-near take a semi-trailer to move me, but when it comes to fixing and making do, I can do.  Without them, I'm just an old man with a good work ethic.
If you don't work for liberty,  you don't get it.

http://BitterrootBugle.com/

cowboy up

• Yippie-Kai-Yay!
« Reply #95 on: August 27, 2010, 10:24:54 pm »

JUST tools?  There is a HUGE difference between SlidemanSailor with his tools and SlidemanSailor without his tools.  I regret that it would darn-near take a semi-trailer to move me, but when it comes to fixing and making do, I can do.  Without them, I'm just an old man with a good work ethic.

But a good worth ethic already puts you way way way ahead of most of your fellow citizens.

Most of whom do not know which end of the shovel engages the earth, just saying'.

Rarick

« Reply #96 on: August 28, 2010, 04:37:05 am »

With skills and know how you can make your own tools, having the tools already makes things easier.

slidemansailor

• A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves
    • The Bitterroot Bugle
« Reply #97 on: August 28, 2010, 12:00:14 pm »

With skills and know how you can make your own tools, having the tools already makes things easier.

There is a world of difference between my metalshop, woodshop, hardware-electrical-plumbing-automotive supply store, reloading room, garden/farm shed and a couple of rocks cleverly attached to sticks with leather thongs.

;) Worse, I don't think I could make a trombone using tools I create even if I try to do nothing else with the rest of my life.
If you don't work for liberty,  you don't get it.

http://BitterrootBugle.com/

Rarick

« Reply #98 on: August 31, 2010, 09:38:51 am »

Yes, That is a given within what I said........... :mellow:  I would much rather have the skills with the shop full of tools to go with them and the parts/ raw material to make what I need on hand, but life dictates differently, doesn't it? 

Knowledge/ skill means you can make a radio. Now actually having the tools and materials determines how easy that is.  If you have to make tools to make tools to make the parts to make the radio.............that is harder, but is does not mean you cannot make a radio.  It may make it infeaseable to do so.........

ZooT_aLLures

• Administrator
    • http://www.thepriceofliberty.org
« Reply #99 on: August 31, 2010, 06:03:13 pm »

If you have to make tools to make tools to make the parts to make the radio

Yeah............but so goes the manufacture of complex products............

the trip is in the setup time and costs...........and a "one-off" might cost a thousand dollars to make, yet making one thousand might drop that price to $20 each............

And yeah.............one could make a trombone............but after making all the tooling needed to make one, that might cost $50K...........one might as well start making trombones to recover that $50K........and end up selling trombones for $500(just an arbitrary number) two years later.........that is.........if enough people wanted trombones............and if folks didn't want to declare trombones to be "illegal" because they want cheap .223 cartridges...........and they can't get cheap .223 ammo as long as the ammo maker has to compete with the trombone maker for brass............so the ammo maker buys the brass plant and genetically modifies it to make predator brass that makes trombones sound like whiskey farts......so the trombone maker builds his own brass plant, and then the two go to war over the copper used to make the brass............and they both "push the button" and blow the world into smithereens and everyone dies all because slidemansailor mentioned building a god damned trombone on some internet forum :laugh:

Even some cowboy and indian outlaws in the 1800's eventually stopped sleeping under buffalo skins, and came to town to entertain paying customers. For some I imagine the bruising of their ego never healed.

We all have some scar tissue that never lets us completely forget the intent of the adventure.

gaurdduck

« Reply #100 on: August 31, 2010, 09:19:30 pm »

the trip is in the setup time and costs...........and a "one-off" might cost a thousand dollars to make, yet making one thousand might drop that price to $20 each............

And yeah.............one could make a trombone............but after making all the tooling needed to make one, that might cost $50K...........one might as well start making trombones to recover that $50K........and end up selling trombones for $500(just an arbitrary number) two years later.........that is.........if enough people wanted trombones............and if folks didn't want to declare trombones to be "illegal" because they want cheap .223 cartridges...........and they can't get cheap .223 ammo as long as the ammo maker has to compete with the trombone maker for brass............so the ammo maker buys the brass plant and genetically modifies it to make predator brass that makes trombones sound like whiskey farts......so the trombone maker builds his own brass plant, and then the two go to war over the copper used to make the brass............and they both "push the button" and blow the world into smithereens and everyone dies all because slidemansailor mentioned building a god damned trombone on some internet forum :laugh:

knobster

• Moderator Group
  • Come and take!
« Reply #101 on: September 01, 2010, 05:30:05 am »

Wow... your mind sounds like a scary place!  ^_^
You will not rise to the occasion; you will default to your level of training.
In God we trust, everyone else bring data.

ZooT_aLLures

• Administrator
    • http://www.thepriceofliberty.org
« Reply #102 on: September 01, 2010, 06:32:00 am »

er uh............I think I broke something after reading all the weird assed threads going as of late  :laugh:
Even some cowboy and indian outlaws in the 1800's eventually stopped sleeping under buffalo skins, and came to town to entertain paying customers. For some I imagine the bruising of their ego never healed.

We all have some scar tissue that never lets us completely forget the intent of the adventure.

MamaLiberty

• Administrator
  • Non aggression, self ownership
    • The Price of Liberty
« Reply #103 on: September 01, 2010, 06:51:45 am »

This whole thread is scary.  :rolleyes:
The lust to control the lives and property of others is the root of all evil.

bull

« Reply #104 on: September 01, 2010, 08:37:31 pm »

ok here goes , in looking for a new home away for here. I made the best guess and started looking in the wrong area first.
in doing so i stood out and realised i wouldnt fit in . So when i found a place that we liked it grew on us to the point of thats the one.   we drove by and checked out the closest town checking for flags, vetrans , i talked to the people at the gas station like i knew them. And the people fishing in the river , their questions were simple -do you live here , do you need a job , what are we going to do with your presadent. i said he's not my presadent. and thay all smiled and were very nice ,4 job offers in 3 days.
Now to do it all over again it only took 40 years to build all my contacts here .
its my hands and the way i talk to people the smile of experiance people know confidance.
even the state troopers i met were nice and smile i had been made, ided ( oh your the nice faimly thats moving in )
i was plaining to try to be a gray man , to damn late so its keep my head down time.
knowlage ,experenance, then planning. were all in this together , doomers ,prepers , just one icestorm and you have knowlage
and experenance next time you will plan and be ready.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8   Go Up