The Mental Militia Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: planning for TSHTF  (Read 62710 times)

slidemansailor

• A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves
    • The Bitterroot Bugle
planning for TSHTF
« on: December 03, 2006, 08:39:48 pm »

Let's say the US and world economy tanks  (if you don't see the precipice, open your eyes).

The politicians want to continue to leech. They make up smooth BS to keep the great middle slaving for them.
The court advisors (gov't school professors) want to continue leeching. They make up nice numbers and theories supporting the ruling elite - and their own full tummies.
The welfare/social security recipients wanna continue leeching. They chant "Amen" to the above.
The great middle doesn't wanna be cast out unprotected, so they do as told, believe all, deny truth, etc.
The palace guard is happy to kick, shoot, stomp and otherwise abuse as long as they are granted license and given an occasionaly shiny medal.

There may be some I overlooked, but there is THE ENEMY.
Who are the fighters, and who are their friends?  (As an aside, it only takes about 3% of the former and 10% of the latter.)

Now I drag in another thread on this forum regarding personality types as defined by: http://www.humanmetrics.com/cgi-win/JTypes1.htm.

The "Masterminds" (Introverted iNtuitive Thinking Judging) though rare, are heavily represented in this forum.  Obviously they are going to work for liberty. 

Who do we work with?
How do we find them?

I think this personality typing is the key.  Define your market.  Target your market. 

Get ready, cuz it's coming soon. Or find Gault's Gulch ...  but I'm thinking we can win this one from the outside (remote spaces) in (population centers)... or, if at least the remote spaces remain free, I'm cool with that... assuming mine is remote enough.

So what I am asking here is for help in defining the market for libertarian ideas.  I know my ENFJ wife is a strong teammate.  Can we count on all ENFJ's? 
Maybe all Thinkers? 
How would we target-market that group?
Maybe there is another way to select our target market.

We better get started.

As an aside, I had the horrible thought tonight that my wife's son is a happy member of the palace guard "sorry, Mom, I had to shoot your husband".  While I am ... who I am  "Sorry, Hon, I hadda shoot your son".  This is a particularly icky thought, but awfully possible - Has the book already been written?  If not, get busy, Claire.
If you don't work for liberty,  you don't get it.

http://BitterrootBugle.com/

Ponce

Re: planning for TSHTF
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2006, 08:50:35 pm »

I like your way of thinking........ sorry to say that I live in a Micky Mouse town where most everyone is on drugs........ already have a 10 feet wire fence on two sides of my home and the 4X4X10 are already up on the other two side and ready for the wire.

If I am left alone I can make it with no problem for the next 25 years and if not....... well, will see.  ........ it will be me or them.

The word "survivalist" means exactly that ......to survive...... to survive while others die.

DrillSgtK

« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2006, 01:41:33 pm »

Don't forget to mind your mindset.

One of the local LP activists here use to go on and on about his readiness for TSHTF. Till his company moved to another state. He was to tied to here to leave, and did not see this as a survivalist opportunity. he applied for unemployment, have hartedly looked for work, lost his house, and had his three cars repo'ed. He stopped coming to meetings after a few people offered to hire him for some part time work (cash of course), and stopped talking to his friends. He ended up filling for bankruptcy and moving to the state that his old job went to.

He had the mindset of total collapse, but not a personal TSHTF situation. I've looked at my life and see I need to make several changes if i'm going to be ready for TSHTF.

The sad part is he had a network of supporting people. All he had to do was accept their offers and help. One change i made in my mind was that if I lost my job and a LP member offered to pay me to mow their lawn with their mower I would. Before seeing this example i would have been to proud to accept a "demeaning" offer. (I'm not sure I could accept out right cash gifts because i'm out of work, I could if it was due to illness. strange how the mind works. Another mind set I need to work on.)

I am seeking friends to stand with when TSHTF, either personal or nationally. I am also doing a lot of navel gazing to see if I can accept help. In the mean time I am working at making sure I don't just shake my head and say "oh, that sux man", but offer to help. It's what I believe  but don't always practices. "You can get everything in life you want if you just help enough people to get what they want" (Zig Zegler I think)

Rarick

• Rarick in the Gulch-O-Dome did decree.......
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2006, 12:31:29 pm »

Set up your network and use it.  That means everyday life I remember trade and barter was a constant thing around the lumber oriented town I grew up in.  My family had a farm and we grew X-mas trees for the cash crop for the "extras" or manufacured necessities.  The rest we either grew, or bartered for if we could not provide it ourselves.  We did not have a hay baler, but our field generally produced a 10 ton overage from what we needed for our "table" herd.  We also needed milk- no milk cow.  the folks with the hay baler had horses and needed 4 tons, so there is a trade.  The dairy farm 8 miles down the road could use the other 6 tons.  We got the stuff baled, and delivered it.  In return our milk was delivered 2 gallons a week by the diary farm kids, mom waited with us for the school bus on mon. and thurs.to take the milk up to the house.  The school bus driver liked cucumbers but lived in an apartment in town........

The bus driver was an old vetran who was missing 3 fingers on his left hand and had some scars from the same incident.  Everyone tended to give him a lot of respect.  The bus company paid him barely enough for rent and electricity, but he had the "farm kid" route, so he ate well.  I learned that people with nasty scars are not scary and evil, but regular folks who got "bitten by life" and how a community makes things work and not necessarily by paying money.

reading the last few posts kind of brought all that to mind.  Money is good, but goodwill and a sense of making things work out are what really is worthwhile.
........Duct tape is like the force, it has a light side, a darkside and holds the universe together.  It is theoretically reinforced with strings too.  (The dome has a darkside, lightside and strings of rebar for reinforcement too!)
-------------------------------------------
Most of the time news is about the same old violations of the first principles of consent and golden rule with a dash of force thrown in........ with just enough duct tape to be believable.

dogsledder54

« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2007, 08:23:06 pm »

Great post, Rarick. (please excuse the tardiness of my reply, but I've been off the web for awhile, and am just catching up on my reading).
great ideas, but more importantly, it shows a great spirit which we could all learn from. Thanks.

Bear

• Curious Bear
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2007, 10:02:45 pm »

He had the mindset of total collapse, but not a personal TSHTF situation. I've looked at my life and see I need to make several changes if i'm going to be ready for TSHTF.

Bingo! That is a real easy trap to fall into. I wish I could put that in front of more people and have them think about it.

The sad part is he had a network of supporting people. All he had to do was accept their offers and help. One change i made in my mind was that if I lost my job and a LP member offered to pay me to mow their lawn with their mower I would. Before seeing this example i would have been to proud to accept a "demeaning" offer. (I'm not sure I could accept out right cash gifts because i'm out of work, I could if it was due to illness. strange how the mind works. Another mind set I need to work on.)

I nearly ended up like your friend once, and I would do things waaaaaay differently if I ever was there again.
One thing that I learned afterward, is that I did have a support network, but didn't know it. (Or was too proud to admit
that I needed help.)

Bear
"There is no good idea so perfect, so pure,
that Government can't do it badly."
-- Bear

merlin419

• 57th Overlanders Brigade
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2007, 12:17:21 pm »

I have gone thru a personal tshtf and came out bloodied but alive. I always kept a years worth of wages and plenty of food and such on hand. Found out that a years money is no where enough when you owe on your property. Free and clear with some food production makes it easier to get by with a lot less.
"Shepard Booke use to tell me," If you can't do something smart then do something right" "Jayne Cobb.

RFC member.

"I'm just a peckerwood who lives in the woods with too many guns."  Bob Lee Swagger

Cybergeld

« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2007, 03:22:52 pm »

I can't tell you how many people 'offered' help when I had a personal SHTF, but totally disappeared when I accepted. Don't count on them really walking the walk, just cause they talk the talk!

Dwight_Jokem

« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2007, 12:52:44 am »

I don't think it will have much to do with the world economy or the national economy, or jobs. I think it will be something else. Some new law or constellation of laws, maybe. Something you just can't live with.

Unless you only mean a personal TSHTF situation, like losing your job or getting into a lot of debt you can't pay or some other kind of financial jam. We do all need to be careful about things like that, no matter what out politics.

Dwight

DGallandro

« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2007, 10:43:48 am »

(Or was too proud to admit
that I needed help.)

This is exactly what happened to me during my first crisis.  I was part of a survival board, and I would pour out what was really happening on the board, while maintaining the "I'm doing just fine, don't worry about me" in telephone and personal conversations.  The outcome was that those who were prepared to help me got mixed signals, figured I was jerking their chain, and turned their collective backs on me.  While I am bitter at their response, I understand it.

The next time it happened, I had a local network of like-minded individuals who not only know me well enough to see through this even if I try to put up a "brave front" but also are close enough to me that I can trust them with the reality of my situation (mostly self-inflicted, unfortunately.  I'm my own worst enemy.) and they can (and did) help me.

Having like-minded friends of the "real friends" variety has helped me greatly.  Do not discount them.  Going it alone can be done, but it's harder on you and its aftereffects will be felt in ways you may not forsee.

DG

smokestone52

« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2008, 07:02:03 pm »

For several years my dear wife thought I was a nut case, because I had devised a SHTF plan. I countiue to up date my SHTF plans. I live in a city that when SHTF this city will tear itself to ribbons. If the city is not destroyed, the key is to get out, and get out fast, like be the first one out, because, a little time goes by and nobody is going anywhere. Fortunatly my dear wife, seeing how crazy this world has become, is getting real interested in my plan. I have several people in a network now, and by golly I think we have a bit of a chance when it happens. And believe you me it is going to happen.

Great site, lots of good info. Glad I found ya all!
'Doin what I can with what I got.

Shanks Mare

« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2008, 06:55:37 pm »

Smokestone52, I can't think of any major city that won't have a similar problem. Imagine what will happen when the water gets turned off, or the electricity. 

Dwight_Jokem, I think many of those laws are already on the books. Each as an individual isn't much, but all together they are amounting to some big trouble, with the loss of multiple rights as individuals.  Possibly we will be seeing the outcome of such laws real soon, or already are, but not relizing it.

Many of us don't do much about each little law, but all together we shall all be regretful. We forget too easily.

Personaly, I'm not above a little help, nor above helping others, which I do very much although I never seem to ask for much help.....I won't sit back and watch my family starve, and will never consider myself above any job that will stave off the wolf.
The man who follows the crowd will usually get no further than the crowd

Secret Six

• BANNED
  • S6
  • Clinging to his guns and religion in Bucks County
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2008, 04:20:11 pm »

A Duffle Bag in your back seat of your car filled with clothing, non perishable foods....

Also learn the back roads and other access points just in case the JBT's set up road blocks

A Good Pair of Hiking Boots, A Rain Poncho, and several Army Survival/Boy Scout Manuals will do the trick

A Good Canteen

A Compass

Because the day may come when you'll have to fend for yourself and live off the land ala Daniel Boone
Behind the ostensible government sits enthroned an invisible government owing no allegiance and acknowledging no responsibility to the people.  - Theodore Roosevelt

Ancient Rome declined because it had a Senate; now what's going to happen to us with both a Senate and a House? - Will Rogers

slidemansailor

• A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves
    • The Bitterroot Bugle
« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2008, 05:45:59 pm »

A Duffle Bag in your back seat of your car filled with clothing, non perishable foods....

Also learn the back roads and other access points just in case the JBT's set up road blocks

A Good Pair of Hiking Boots, A Rain Poncho, and several Army Survival/Boy Scout Manuals will do the trick

A Good Canteen

A Compass

Because the day may come when you'll have to fend for yourself and live off the land ala Daniel Boone

That ought to work for a few weeks.  I think I'll stay home with my tools, supplies, friends, neighbors and family. If that stops working I'm really unlikely to survive in the woods with a million others that ran from the cities.
If you don't work for liberty,  you don't get it.

http://BitterrootBugle.com/

Shanks Mare

« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2008, 07:30:52 pm »

No slam to anybody in here....just some advice, and since its from me...not worth much! ;)

How many around here hunt?  If your not a hunter, nor have never hunted, YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO "LIVE" OFF THE LAND. At least, not long.
If TSHTF, it won't be long and EVERYBODY WILL BE LIVING OFF OF THE LAND. The food on the shelves won't last long.

SlideManSailor-You might have to defend yourself from those very same neighbors....but I agree with what you said.
The man who follows the crowd will usually get no further than the crowd
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8   Go Up