The Mental Militia Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 3 CA Schools to Use Fingerprints for Lunch Purchases  (Read 2528 times)

Erin

3 CA Schools to Use Fingerprints for Lunch Purchases
« on: November 05, 2006, 12:13:54 pm »

« Last Edit: August 28, 2007, 07:34:46 pm by Erin »

Mr. Dare

• Administrator
  • My Strawman will beat hell out of yours any day!
Re: 3 CA Schools to Use Fingerprints for Lunch Purchases
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2006, 07:15:56 am »

And the student ID# would be the old faithfull SSN# most likely... Yes, our feet are out from under us, and our ass is firmly down on that slippery slope, now it's just a ride to the bottom of the hill. What I find hilarious is the justification that it will "speed up cafeteria lines..." I mean when I was in school, we bought a Lunch Card every week, the kids on school subsidy got one, no one knew who the were unless they said, and when you went through the line, everyone got a single punch on their card. It took less time than putting a scoop of runny mashed potatos on a sickly yellow tray. I'm betting that computerized system goes down at least two or three times a month, and even if it doesn't, they said the system was only to tell the cashier how much the student owed... how is that faster??  I'm betting it takes longer per transaction by the time they get done cleaning crud off the scanner and what not. Just another blatant attempt to habituate kids to the coming police state. Armed "guards", metal detectors, no knock warrentless locker searches, finger print scanners, yeah these kids are getting a real preview of things to come. It's like putting a baby elephant on a piece of rope to a stake in the ground... he can't get free and eventually gives up trying. By the time he is full grown he could easily pull away, but he doesn't because he gave up trying.
"He's no fun, he fell right over!"
"I've got Deku Nuts coming outta my ass and I still can't kill this bastard!!!" (my sweet wife...)
"The road to Hell is paved with happy plans..."
"I do not avoid Twinkies, Duck, but I do deny them my essence." Joel

Evil Twin

« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2006, 08:18:54 am »

Anyone care to wager on how many kids are pulled from these schools because of this?  My guess is zero.  You might get a few parents mad enough to write a letter to the editor, or say somethign at the PTA meeting, but thats it.

Searcher9

« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2006, 08:50:46 am »

Anyone care to wager on how many kids are pulled from these schools because of this?  My guess is zero.  You might get a few parents mad enough to write a letter to the editor, or say somethign at the PTA meeting, but thats it.

That is the real problem. That is why I'm not handing out flyers at the polls today. If people will keep their kids in government schools, then there really is no point in trying to talk to them.

Erin

« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2006, 09:23:38 am »

« Last Edit: August 28, 2007, 07:35:12 pm by Erin »

Mr. Dare

• Administrator
  • My Strawman will beat hell out of yours any day!
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2006, 01:52:03 pm »

One of the most insidious things about our current economy is that in order to be able to raise and support a child (or children) in the first place requires either both parents working, or for a single parent often government support in order to have enough money to make it. (again... not saying I'm for that, but it is a reality for a lot of people.) Public "education" is in the position of taking some economic burden off those parents as well (they don't have to pay for child care while they are at work), again just an observation of a reality for many people. This gives the public "education" system an inside track on the minds of America's children, it is seen by many as a necessity.  In order to break the stranglehold (which gets worse every year) parents need to become more aware of options, including thinking outside the box and considering home schooling and self sufficiency routes to breaking the work/spend/give up cycle they are stuck in. Many people on this site do an excellent job of sharing information on how to do this, and are already practicing ways to minimize their exposure to the coercive system which others are completely trapped by. Can we do more to help strike at the root of this problem? I know most of you already do much in the way of talking to others and trying to expose them to alternative ways of thinking about what defines "the good life" and "living well". I challenge everyone to find a new "project" (if you don't already have several). Someone who may be receptive to freedom and self sufficiency, someone who may be brought out of serfdom. Work on them over time, and try not to scare them off by being "too much too soon". It's tough, in my younger days I probably scared a lot of people off by assuming that everyone could "see" the obvious and ranting and railing at them with ideas that were absolutely alien to them. The "education" system is rapidly becoming an "indoctrination" system for the coming totalitarian state. Anyway I'm rambling dangerously close to the edge of a thread hijack here, so I'll shut up now. :rolleyes:
"He's no fun, he fell right over!"
"I've got Deku Nuts coming outta my ass and I still can't kill this bastard!!!" (my sweet wife...)
"The road to Hell is paved with happy plans..."
"I do not avoid Twinkies, Duck, but I do deny them my essence." Joel

clarence

• sui juris, in propia persona
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2006, 11:08:17 pm »

No, maybe kids won't be pulled from any of these schools over this.

But note the program applies only to those buying lunches from the school.  If my kid were going there, and leaving weren't an option, I'd be making sure my kid took a packed lunch every day, and wouldn't line up to get scanned.

yea, a simple way around the problem. when i took a sack lunch to school every day, i would end up trading with my friends and always ending up eating lunch and not just throw the bag away like i have seen too many times. and getting your child into the mindset of having that bagged lunch every day can be a start on teaching them self-sufficiency if you get them to help with/make that lunch to take with them.

clarence
je suis contre

tu ne cede malis

"Don't feel bad, most species of large mammal die off...it's just our turn." Herb Ruhs, MD

mutti

• Mutti
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2006, 07:39:58 am »

One of the most insidious things about our current economy is that in order to be able to raise and support a child (or children) in the first place requires either both parents working, or for a single parent often government support in order to have enough money to make it.

Why? In our economy if you want to drive the newest, own the biggest, buy at the expensive stores and never say "no" to your children (or yourself), maybe the above is true. There is nothing inherently "better" about my DH and I over all the other parents in the world. We are doing the one parent work/other stay home with the 4 kiddies thing. True there are times when we would like something that we just can't have it, but everything we need we have. Notice want does not equal need. This problem will only be resolved IMHO when individuals begin to realize that instant gratification does not equal happiness. 

I could climb up on a soap box and do the whole "get over it" thing, but that would defeat the purpose of this thread. Each individual must decide what they are willing to give up (i.e. DNA, Fingerprints, privacy  or individual security) before they can go on with making decisions.

Mutti

Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.  Jefferson

"The universe never did make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract." Heinlein

Erin

« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2006, 09:37:08 am »

« Last Edit: July 17, 2007, 11:19:43 pm by Erin »

lewlew

« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2006, 11:02:09 am »

Public education isn't free by any means.  What makes it more attractive in some ways is the fact that people don't necessarily see the money being spirited away.  They don't write the check directly to school districts.  They pay their property taxes and then that chunk of change is divided up into subsections. With many mortgages including the cost of your homeonwers insurance and property taxes in one lump sum paid each month, that money is even more remote to a large segment of our society, because they don't even write the check.  It's a nonevent.

Increasingly, the fees add up when you send your children to public schools. On average, we pay $85 per child at the beginning of the school year for copying fees, asb fees, yearbook fees, computer useage fees.. you name it, it's there. On the flip side, when we homeschooled, we payed for curriculum, outing fees, music lesson fees and so on.  But, to summarize, it's a misnomer that public education is free. <end of thread jack =)>

As for the school lunch, fingerprint scheme is wild and of course the reason for it is a red herring.  Going through the lunch line is a bitch, no matter how you slice it. Even if it's to prove that the child is the one who's supposed to receive the free lunch, as Clarence pointed out, trading is so prominent this action won't guarantee the lunch is consumed by the child it's intended for. And the kids who're waiting in line, more often than not, aren't eating it when they sit down.  They're trading it away to those kids who have sack lunches and crave some high-fat carbs and protein.

We have always prometed bagged lunches for our kids, both through our homeschool endeavors and their public school times. By making your own lunch, you're in charge of what you're eating, you don't have to wait in line and you can save quite a bit of money.  We give the kids lunch money twice a week, because on occasion most everyone eats lunch out. And I know they don't spend it in the lunch line in school. They go to the student store and purchase pizza, fruit smoothies or teriyaki bowls, rather than wait in line for creamed corn and beef dippers.
Pages: [1]   Go Up