The Mental Militia Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8   Go Down

Author Topic: The Best of George Potter  (Read 112793 times)

Pagan

Re: The Best of George Potter
« Reply #60 on: December 06, 2006, 05:16:59 am »

Wonderful cover art. That's the most stark & mysterious looking gas station I've seen in a long time. Kudos to Madame Axe.

Actually it’s pretty friendly.

When I’ve traveled East-to-West or West-to-East in the past, I always loved to get up about 3 a.m. and hit the road for 3-4 hrs before I stopped for breakfast. Those lights, large or small, were a cheery “Hello” in the middle of the dark. If I stopped, the truckers were always nice and helpful, passing on info re: an upcoming speed trap, rock slide or detour ahead. They invariably blew their horns in greeting on the road, or waved if you caught their eye when it was light enough to see each other.

This artwork shows dawn starting to break, and that’s just how it looked and felt many mornings. It’s the most beautiful time of the day for me; I think it anticipates the best the world has to offer.

Enough of that... back to reality. :-(

George Potter

« Reply #61 on: December 06, 2006, 11:07:21 am »

Back cover art by Madame Axe.

Claire:

I agonized a bit over a title. I decided that the one thread that does run through my stories is the symbolflow in various forms. The eternal now of Round Eyes and the 'frozen moment' from Stilled Life. Hyperconnection in Roberta. The market in micropiece. The dream world of Lullaby.  All are about viewing the world and its systems as symbols. Even the woman in Wake functions as a symbol, and effects the others on a symbolic level. (A notable exception is The Liberators. That's ok. It is a symbol, a metaphor - so are most of the poems and songs.)

And what do symbols do? Among the human race symbols flow.

:)

**EDITED TO FIX ART LINK**
« Last Edit: December 06, 2006, 12:31:12 pm by Gloryroad »

George Potter

« Reply #62 on: December 06, 2006, 11:17:09 am »

Pagan --

Do you need the tiff graphics in PC or Mac format?

Pagan

« Reply #63 on: December 06, 2006, 12:08:56 pm »

I'll be using PC.

George Potter

« Reply #64 on: December 06, 2006, 12:32:13 pm »

George Potter

« Reply #65 on: December 06, 2006, 01:26:40 pm »

Thanks. The format's no problem. Do you know the original date you wrote it?

You know, for a guy who prides himself on his reading skills, I've missed a lot of stuff in this thread. Just saw this and checked the file properties:

August 10, 2005.

Pagan

« Reply #66 on: December 06, 2006, 03:13:40 pm »

August 10, 2005.

Thanks for the date.
~~
I just saw the back cover. You know, George, the covers (both of them together) are going to use an awful lot of ink -- which raises the expense, I think.

The front cover is beautiful and intriguing, and people will stop to look; but somewhere on the outside should explain something about this writing: who you are, why this was written, and/or why it should be read. Even one blurb from some reviewer would help. Claire? John? Anyone want to write a review?

A “Collected Works” usually belongs to someone the reading public knows -- but they don’t know you. They might ask: “Why should I read George Potter? I never heard of him.”  They will for sure pick up the book and look through it -- but will they buy it?
I guess what I’m asking is, Where is this book going to end up? We (TCF) will buy it, but if even one copy gets out into the public, it’ll need some PR. The only promotion at this time is the book itself. I think some commentary should be on the back cover.

Anybody else want to input?

George Potter

« Reply #67 on: December 06, 2006, 03:46:12 pm »

Are we using lulu?

From lulu's faq:

Will I get a discount if my cover is black & white instead of color?

No. The cost of a full-color cover is included in the production cost of all books. You may make your cover black & white if you like, but your book will not be discounted.

I think the cover price is set.

Hmmm. I'd really hate to mar MA's back cover art with text. Can anyone think of a compromise?

henshawe

« Reply #68 on: December 06, 2006, 04:16:29 pm »

G'Day All,

Would a Short review and vita on George an the inside of the back cover work? Maybe on the inside of the front cover? or both? I'm assuming the text would be on white background?

I duh know, don't know much about the publishing insider stuff.

Regards,

Americus

Dare2BFree

« Reply #69 on: December 06, 2006, 04:17:55 pm »

I"ve also seen reviews on the first few pages of a book - before the title page.  That may be an option as well.
If I had known that these days would have changed my life - I would have dressed better.   ~ me

No man's life, liberty or property are safe while the legislature is in session.  ~ Judge Gideon J. Tucker

George Potter

« Reply #70 on: December 06, 2006, 04:38:29 pm »

I"ve also seen reviews on the first few pages of a book - before the title page.  That may be an option as well.

This might be the best idea. I really am loath to mar the beautiful collage on the back cover.

Something like:

"*excerpt from Claire's intro*"
-- Claire Wolfe, author of RebelFire and
The Freedom Outlaws Handbook

"That damn Potter. All us kids hate him."
--Joel Simon, author of Walt's Gulch
and The Scroll Of Jeremiah

"At least he's not a penguin."
-- P.S. Me, author of Tactical Dance Moves

What if ordinary men decided to act like a government?
 What if a woman refused to allow society to control her self opinion?
 What if time stopped for the least likely person in the world?
 What if a famous pulp fiction writer woke up in a strange body and a stranger future?
 What if the universe itself had a plan for all of us?
 What if a low-paying job opened a window on the world?

What if?

Why not?
[/b]

We could have a blurb writing contest! :D
« Last Edit: December 06, 2006, 04:40:18 pm by Gloryroad »

Dare2BFree

« Reply #71 on: December 06, 2006, 04:41:05 pm »

"At least he's not a penguin."
-- P.S. Me, author of Tactical Dance Moves

That's beautiful  :laugh:
If I had known that these days would have changed my life - I would have dressed better.   ~ me

No man's life, liberty or property are safe while the legislature is in session.  ~ Judge Gideon J. Tucker

Joel

• Just a peckerwood who lives in the hills with too many guns.
« Reply #72 on: December 06, 2006, 04:42:41 pm »

I've dealt with lulu on several occasions.  The amount of color on the covers does not affect the price.  All covers are full-color.

As far as I know, there's no way to put text on the insides of the covers, so it would have to be additional pages.

Did George (I love Robert Heinlein) Potter just call Heinlein a "pulp fiction writer"???

My blurb would have to be something along the lines of "He thinks he's so fucking cool, just because he's the best living short-story writer on the planet."
Yet another Freedomista blog: The Ultimate Answer to Kings is not a bullet, but a belly laugh.

George Potter

« Reply #73 on: December 06, 2006, 04:43:18 pm »

As to 'collected works' it was the least clumsy thing I could think of. "The stories, essays, poems and other material of George Potter" doesn't really roll off the tounge. "Crap by George Potter" might work, but I'm not that self effacing. :P

Once again, suggestions welcome.

George Potter

« Reply #74 on: December 06, 2006, 04:46:43 pm »

Did George (I love Robert Heinlein) Potter just call Heinlein a "pulp fiction writer"???

As Robert Heinlein did till the day he died.  :mellow:

My blurb would have to be something along the lines of "He thinks he's so fucking cool, just because he's the best living short-story writer on the planet."

Sometimes I think you guys are insane.

Actually, J. -- a simplification of your hilarious Roberta intro might work well.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8   Go Up