The Mental Militia Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sports Photography - football - what I've learned  (Read 1714 times)

Bear

• Curious Bear
Sports Photography - football - what I've learned
« on: October 21, 2006, 06:07:16 pm »

I just shot a game played by our local high school junior varsity team against Spring Creek, NV.
I'm not  done processing the 400+ photos, but I thought I'd post some things  I've learned this morning,
in no particular order.

1. Pics shot  from the field level are dramatic, but pics shot from the stadium do a better job of
telling a story. Decide what you want to do ahead of time and put yourself in the right place.

2. A Sigma SD10 set to ISO 800 with a shutter priority of 1/250 second does a decent job, if a little contrasty.

3. I need practice with the multiple exposure control. (shots in quick sucession)

4. Each play is it's own story. Shoot the scrimage  line before the ball is snapped  to provide a book
mark between plays. Otherwise, the plays run together.

5. Catch the signals from the referees if you can. The explain the results of some plays.

6. Shoot the scoreboard when the score changes. This provides a 'time stamp' and a progress marker for the game.

7. A ground game where most of the plays are runs does not have the drama of a game where a lot of passing
takes place.

8. If you are zoomed in on the quarter back and he throws the ball, the fastest way for you to re-aquire the ball is to look
over the camer and then bring the camer back to your eye as you are looking at the spot where the ball will come down.

9. Get a program so you can tell who is in the shot later.

10. Save the sequence of photos for a play even if you only intend to use one now. The sequence provides context
that you can't reconstruct later if you've deleted the other photos.

11. A 1 GB CF card is almost enough storage for one game when shooting "low res" photos. It would be better to have
a second card already formatted and ready to go, so that you can take as many shots as necessary to tell a complete story
without having to ration image storage.

12. One set of batteries is enoug to get through half the game when shooting low res. Half time is a good time to attend
to changing batteries and memory cards, etc..

Bear
"There is no good idea so perfect, so pure,
that Government can't do it badly."
-- Bear
Pages: [1]   Go Up