The Mental Militia Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 58   Go Down

Author Topic: Got gold?  (Read 177812 times)

ZooT_aLLures

• Administrator
    • http://www.thepriceofliberty.org
Got gold?
« Reply #30 on: April 30, 2004, 11:32:32 am »

rockchucker,

It's interesting to note that during times of civil strife those tiny lead ingots and other siniliar items very well could be considered as valid currency........
Even some cowboy and indian outlaws in the 1800's eventually stopped sleeping under buffalo skins, and came to town to entertain paying customers. For some I imagine the bruising of their ego never healed.

We all have some scar tissue that never lets us completely forget the intent of the adventure.

Bear

• Curious Bear
Got gold?
« Reply #31 on: April 30, 2004, 11:46:32 am »

unstructuredreality,

Besides it's shiny and kids love shiny

Yeah but so do the crows of state, and those crows already made the personal possession of gold for investment a crime once in order to effectively rob the public to get themselves out of trouble.
And I myself believe they could and would do so again under the vestige of "terrorists are using gold as money" or some other such nonsense......

(edited in for clarity)
This is not to say that one shouldn't buy gold or silver, but only that one should be aware that at some point the crows of state might want "their" gold back, and therefore plans should be made to avoid being forced to do so.

It's not likely that the Gov would dare outlaw gold wedding bands.

Have your friendly jeweler cast your "hoard" of gold coins into wedding bands, or shot glasses, or
some other item or artwork. Just remember to keep the 22kt and the 24kt stuff separate.

Better yet, take a metal casting class from your local community college and learn to do lost wax
casting yourself - in the privacy of your backyard.

The feds may be greedy and vicious, but they tend to be slow and not very ambitious. I think we can stay
a couple of steps ahead.

Bear

"There is no good idea so perfect, so pure,
that Government can't do it badly."
-- Bear

unstructuredreality

Got gold?
« Reply #32 on: April 30, 2004, 03:16:35 pm »

ZooT_aLLures said:
"And I myself believe they could and would do so again under the vestige of "terrorists are using gold as money" or some other such nonsense......"

If my memory serves me correctly in this instance, gold dealers are now financial institutions and are subject to new money laundering regulations as of the passing of parts of Patriot 2 tucked nicely into an Intelligence Spending Bill last year.  I guess when it all comes crashing down, gold will still have value- not like today's market value, but good value nonetheless- in transactions between people in need.  I can't think of anything else that would serve someone better in a pinch.

http://www.nccprivacy.org/handv/030228villain.htm

rockchucker

• ... death awaits you all with nasty pointy teeth!
    • FreedomSight
Got gold?
« Reply #33 on: April 30, 2004, 04:46:27 pm »

http://www.nccprivacy.org/handv/030228villain.htm
Thanks for that link. I've got privacilla, epic, and privacyinternational, but hadn't heard of those guys.

Seems the only way to avoid the snoops is to deal only in private transactions, or mine/pan it yourself. I've done the latter (panning, anyway), and I will say that (in one particular case) never in my life have my fingers been so cold. :o

The ROI on your time isn't too great either, unless you get very lucky.
... it is poor civic hygiene to install technologies that could someday
facilitate a police state. -- Bruce Schneier

Put a little birdhouse in your soul. -- TMBG

FreedomSight

Dull'Hawk

• DullHawk.com
    • dullhawk.com
Got gold?
« Reply #34 on: April 30, 2004, 05:04:10 pm »

Yep, I've done panning before.  VERY cold!  Made my back ache from all the stooping over.  After many hours, I had found one, almost microscopic flake.  Woo hoo.  Next time, I will try to find a better spot....

Kent
Kent For Liberty

Firefly militia: millions strong, one at a time.

Declaration of Liberation: I hereby withdraw any and all consent (if, indeed, consent was ever given) to be subject to the whims of the murderous, criminal collective known as "government".

Silver

• thrivalist
  • Moderator Group
Got gold?
« Reply #35 on: April 30, 2004, 06:09:52 pm »

While there is no limit to the depravity that our government will descend to, I doubt that gold confiscation would work very well in this day and age.  The population in the 1930s was looking to the government to solve their problems (sound familiar?) and they rather meekly went along with the demand to hand over gold for paper at $20 an ounce.  Only a short time later the evil FDR changed the exchange rate to $35 an ounce, devaluing the currency.  People remember that, and trust the government less.

The method of confiscation is unlikely to work very well again.  FDR posted armed guards at all banks, who went with every person who opened their safe deposit box, and made sure any gold was traded for worthless paper.  Lots of people owned gold then, and many kept their coins in bank safe deposit boxes.  Today, very few own coins, and those few tend not to trust banks very much.

Quite a bit of gold was never turned in; literally billions of dollars went into hiding and/or overseas.  You can still buy 1920s St. Guaudens coins at most coin dealers.

So don't keep most or all of your gold in a safe deposit box, and if you do, keep your eyes and ears open.  As pointed out earlier, these criminals don't move very fast, and they telegraph their intentions if you just pay attention.

If the government tells the citizens to turn in their gold coins, cries of "Molon Labe" will ring across the land, and those "tiny gilded cylindrical lead ingots, and short brass tubes" will ring out their own song as well.

Now's a great time to buy gold and silver; they are in the midst of a major correction, or manipulation, depending on what you know and believe, but the price is as low as one is likely to see for some time.

Peace,

Silver

« Last Edit: July 16, 2005, 06:43:14 am by Silver »

Desertrat

Got gold?
« Reply #36 on: April 30, 2004, 07:41:43 pm »

I've noticed that it is reasonably common that if you pay cash, rather than by check or credit card, the sales taxes are somehow forgotten...

:), 'Rat

Silver

• thrivalist
  • Moderator Group
Got gold?
« Reply #37 on: May 09, 2004, 08:09:44 am »

Gold is now below $380 for the first time in 6 months or so, who knows if or when we'll see it at this price again?
It took a major hammering on Friday, May 7, for reasons that are far from clear.  Seems like even the courtesan
press is finally noticing the rampant inflation, and gold always does very, very well during inflation.

As Mr. Russel of Dow Theory fame states, gold is "cheaper than dirt" right now.  It's come down almost $50 in the past month.

You can buy a 1 oz American Eagle for less than $400, or a 1/10th ounce Eagle for about $43.
Silver is low as well, you can get $100 face value of US pre-1965 silver quarters or dimes (90% silver) for about $430.  That's about 72 ounces of silver.

Call Camino Company at 800-982-7070 and change worthless bits of green paper for something with real, lasting value. No sales tax for anyone except the poor residents of Kalifornia, and they can escape that by buying more than $1000 worth.

Got money stuck in an IRA, and nothing to do with it but buy vastly overvalued stocks and manipulated mutual funds, or hold cash while Alan "Bubbles" Greenspan inflates away its value?

Buy Central Exchange Fund, CEF, they buy bullion, 1 part gold to 50 parts silver, and keep it nice and safe in a Candian bank vault.  Their price is also at a six-month low.

I have no financial reliationship with Camino or CEF.

Peace,

Silver
« Last Edit: July 16, 2005, 06:45:43 am by Silver »

Bear

• Curious Bear
Got gold?
« Reply #38 on: May 09, 2004, 10:18:00 am »

rockchucker,
It's interesting to note that during times of civil strife those tiny lead ingots and other siniliar items very well could be considered as valid currency........

Zoot, this could be one of those circumstances where it is better to give than to receive. :o

Bear

-- Bear

Bear

• Curious Bear
Got gold?
« Reply #39 on: May 09, 2004, 10:36:17 am »

On a related note to gold and silver -

I've mentioned before that the Sacagewea dollar coins in uncirculated condtion seem to be worth a lot more
than face value. Here's some prices for uncirculated Sacs from Littleton.

Year   Mint    Value    %gain
2000     P      $3.95      295%
2000     D      $3.95      295%
2001     P    $10.95      995%
2001     D    $10.95      995%
2002     P      $6.95      595%
2002     D      $6.95      595%
2003     P      $3.50      250%
2003     D      $3.50      250%

Percent gain assume you paid face value for the coin, either getting it in change somewhere or getting it
from the bank.

Also note that these are NOT the proof prices. Proofs are even more expensive.

I was thinking about getting a bag of Sacs from the Mint, but they increased their mark up from 9% to 24.9%!

Bear

-- Bear

RN/MEDIC

Got gold?
« Reply #40 on: May 09, 2004, 04:25:25 pm »

For those with the resources to convert into gold/silver, that's certainly a good thing. Right or wrong, and as I can't do both, I am purchasing/storing ammo of common useable calibers. My guess (right or wrong) is that when the "BALLOON GOES UP/CRUNCH COMES" ammo will be accepted like FRN's are now only better. Just a thought.

ZooT_aLLures

• Administrator
    • http://www.thepriceofliberty.org
Got gold?
« Reply #41 on: May 09, 2004, 04:57:19 pm »

RNMEDIC,

There'll be quite a few things that will be accepted, and to determine those one only has to determine that which is needed to support life....
Even some cowboy and indian outlaws in the 1800's eventually stopped sleeping under buffalo skins, and came to town to entertain paying customers. For some I imagine the bruising of their ego never healed.

We all have some scar tissue that never lets us completely forget the intent of the adventure.

rockchucker

• ... death awaits you all with nasty pointy teeth!
    • FreedomSight
Got gold?
« Reply #42 on: May 09, 2004, 08:57:56 pm »

Just out of curiosity, I looked up the formulation for gilding metal. Found 2: Copper/Zinc 85/15, and 95/5.

Now that makes me wonder about the formulation of old copper pennies. Of course, the new ones are zinc -- albeit hoarding new pennies is an expensive way to acquire zinc. (Or so I'd guess.)

Sierra says their jacketing alloy uses the 95/5 formulation.

Other materials which might wind up as currency: sulfur and saltpeter. Depending on where you live, maybe charcoal too?
... it is poor civic hygiene to install technologies that could someday
facilitate a police state. -- Bruce Schneier

Put a little birdhouse in your soul. -- TMBG

FreedomSight

kbarrett

Got gold?
« Reply #43 on: May 10, 2004, 05:35:16 pm »

Yep, I've done panning before.  VERY cold!  Made my back ache from all the stooping over.  After many hours, I had found one, almost microscopic flake.  Woo hoo.  Next time, I will try to find a better spot....

Kent
Join the GPAA, and move out west.

We have a lot more gold out here.

And get something more efficient than a single pan. Even an unpowered sluicebox is an improvement over just panning.

The psychology of “Projection”:  If you want to run people’s lives for them, then you will probably assume that any armed person wants to do the same to you. Scratch a victim-disarmament supporter, and you will always discover a fear-ridden control-freak.

Dull'Hawk

• DullHawk.com
    • dullhawk.com
Got gold?
« Reply #44 on: May 10, 2004, 05:53:42 pm »

What, like Kalifornia?

Kent
Kent For Liberty

Firefly militia: millions strong, one at a time.

Declaration of Liberation: I hereby withdraw any and all consent (if, indeed, consent was ever given) to be subject to the whims of the murderous, criminal collective known as "government".
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 58   Go Up