The Mental Militia Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: RFID Blocking Wallet  (Read 12498 times)

teotwawki

Tom P.

Re: RFID Blocking Wallet
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2006, 02:19:25 pm »

I made one of these this morning just for giggles (I dont have anything that goes into my wallet with RFID, so giggles is all its good for) but it was very easy to do, and makes a halfway decent wallet.

However, it would probably be easier and less tin-foil-hat to make a "card cozy" out of foil and duct tape for your individual cards.

securitysix

• Self Proclaimed Champion Thread Derailer
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2006, 12:27:21 pm »

"card cozy"

Maybe it's just me, but that sounds like something that belongs in a purse...  :)
"That's what governments are for; get in a man's way." - Malcom Reynolds

"This country has come to feel the same when Congress is in session as when the baby gets hold of a hammer." - Will Rogers

Tom P.

« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2006, 04:33:02 pm »

How about a "Metalisized Financial Security Envelope"?

Tough enough fer ya there tough guy? ;)

securitysix

• Self Proclaimed Champion Thread Derailer
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2006, 04:35:21 pm »

How about a "Metalisized Financial Security Envelope"?

Tough enough fer ya there tough guy? ;)

Better.  Much more tacti-cool.  :)
"That's what governments are for; get in a man's way." - Malcom Reynolds

"This country has come to feel the same when Congress is in session as when the baby gets hold of a hammer." - Will Rogers

Tom P.

« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2006, 04:58:54 pm »

Sho Nuff

Misfit

« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2006, 02:37:33 pm »

The question is can you get through airport security with something like that?
Those stupid new passports have RFID chips (well, they don't come out and specifically state they're RFID).

teotwawki

« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2006, 05:31:51 pm »

I'm sure you could figure out a way to nuke the chip - like microwaving it or something...

They'd still accept the passport I'm sure but tell you you'll need a new one...

Misfit

« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2006, 12:28:49 pm »

Yeah, I was planning on doing something along those lines. They only just started chipping passports so most of them out there don't have chips and won't until they renew in 10 years. It doesn't sound like too many ports of entry are going to have the equipment to scan the chips either. So, I'm thinking it won't grab much attention if mine just doesn't work. Heck, maybe it's their new equipment.  :mellow:

Disney makes a big deal of this fingerprint scan at it's parks, but I was there and the damn things don't work. They just keep having to override it to let the people in. We refused to do the biometrics in the first place, but the whole thing was a joke anyway.

mr_duh

« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2006, 07:42:09 pm »

The question is can you get through airport security with something like that?
Those stupid new passports have RFID chips (well, they don't come out and specifically state they're RFID).

Keep it covered. When they ask for it, take it out. When they're done, put it away. The whole purpose of this is to keep from everyday snooping.

Jguy101

« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2006, 10:16:34 pm »

Link bookmarked for future use. :laugh:

teotwawki

« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2006, 07:26:16 pm »

Both my wife and I need to renew our passports.  I have understood that children now need their own passports too.  What a PITA

Vrsovice Rebel

« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2006, 02:08:55 pm »

I think I may have solved the problem.

Back in College, I was a member of the school's Fencing team; I was #2 man on our Sabre team and one of the two Sabre coaches for the squad.

Now, in electrically-scored Fencing matches, Foillists and Sabreurs each have a definite Target Area; cuts or thrusts which land outside this area don't count. In order to make sure that the primitive little machine doesn't score things on a touch-by-touch basis, as in Epee, Sabreurs and Foillists wear special garments called Lamees over their normal armor.

The Lamee works because it's metal cloth. The outer surface of the garment itself is made of extremely fine-gauge wire: the wire of a cheap steel-mesh Lamee is fairly visible; about the size of the copper wiring in your car. The gold wire used in top-shelf Lamees from makers like Triplette and PBT Hungary, on the other hand, is so fine as to be almost invisible. It allows the machine to complete an electrica ciruit from the machine, to the attacker's sword, through the Lamee's metallicized surface, and thence down another wire back to the scoring machine. Why is this important? Very simply put, metallicized Lamee fabric is essentially a flexible Faraday Cage. No electrical impulses get in or out. Occaisionally a combination of a brand-new blade, a brand-new Lamee, and a faulty scoring machine can result in a nasty electric shock being delivered by the jacket, but for the extremely low currents used in RFID technology, the Lamee's gold-wire weave is impenetrable.

Sew a wallet out of it; hell, line your backpack with the stuff. It's a bit expensive, but it'd certainly do the job. A gold-wire Sabre Lamee costs about $350, last I checked. I bought mine for $290, but our team had a deal with the owner of Triplette's. A wallet sewn or lined with this stuff would look no different that anything else...but RFID would ( I think ) be neutralized by it.
May God bless and keep the Tsar...far away from us!

My life, not yours, piss off!

Tom P.

« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2006, 02:18:36 pm »

I actually found a mesh specifically designed to be used for blocking RF.

http://www.twpinc.com/twp/jsp/product.jsp?type=11&page=price&blackboardId=100

motherbatherick

« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2006, 10:48:21 pm »

Sabreurs and Foillists wear special garments called Lamees over their normal armor.
What, like Elvis' gold suit?
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up