The Mental Militia Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Liberty at the Star Trek convention  (Read 2394 times)

azcoyote

• Tom Paine wannabe
Liberty at the Star Trek convention
« on: August 21, 2006, 03:30:52 am »

Saturday morning at the 40th Anniversary Star Trek convention, George Takei (Sulu), Walter Koenig (Checkov), and Nichelle Nichols (Uhura) were on stage. I was a bit hungover from the party at Quark's the night before (those Warp Core Breaches will kill ya) but made a special effort to get up to see them. George had recently "come out". He got some ribbing from the other actors, but the fans were very accepting. Mostly, though, I wanted to see Nichelle. I saw her about 10 years ago and she was just lovely and gracious. She's one of those women who get more beautiful with age. And very classy.

George starting getting political about halfway through their time, talking against the war, the administration and Bush and how this is so antithetical to the vision of Star Trek. A few people boo'd, one guy in a Navy shirt walked out and another called him a "left-coast loser". After this went on a bit, Nichelle spoke up with great passion, saying, "If there is a 9-11 every week, I will not back down! If they tap my phones, I will not back down! If they send me to jail, I will not back down!" There were a few more but I missed them as I was on my feet clapping and cheering. Only about half of the audience was doing the same. She got so emotional that she had to leave the stage for a bit. It was a powerful moment to see somebody, who is trained to put on a face for the public, get so worked up in front of 4000 strangers for the cause of liberty that she couldn't continue.

They charge for autographs and such at these things, something I won't pay for, but on this occaision I decided to shell out 35 bucks and overcome my nervousness to have a my picture taken with Nichelle. I knew I would only have a few seconds before they rushed me out, so when it was (finally) my turn, I said, "Thank you so much for what you said this morning." She wasn't exactly sure what I meant, but then had an "ah ha" moment and thanked me with kind of a knowing smile. As I left I added, "I admire you greatly. Not your character, you." Then she thanked me again with what I believe was a sincere smile, not the actor's smile. But, who knows with actors.

Anyway, just wanted to share that with y'all. It might not seem like a big deal to you, but ya had to be there, I guess. I may hold that memory longer than seeing Nimoy and Shatner on stage together--a Trekkie's dream!

Coyote

PS Got a cool "Serenity" logo shirt along with the Trek stuff.
Always keep your clothes and weapons where you can find them in the dark. Robert A. Heinlein

Lightning

• Heheheh...
Re: Liberty at the Star Trek convention
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2006, 08:46:26 am »

That's quite a story, coyote.   :mellow:  Thanks.
I'm damn well free to dance through life even if 'they' expect me to cringe and crawl.

"Your life is an occasion.  Rise to it."  --Dustin Hoffman as Mr. Magorium, in Mr. Magorium's Wonder Emporium
Pages: [1]   Go Up