The Mental Militia Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: In the closet?  (Read 31583 times)

Jguy101

Re: In the closet?
« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2006, 01:02:38 am »

Eh, the only Chicago song I really care for is 25 or 6 to 4. You have to admit that Terry Kath's guitar solo is awesome.

Anyway, I may listen to some Floyd; my friend (a geek) loves the stuff.

Bill St. Clair

• Techie
    • End the War on Freedom
« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2006, 03:59:16 am »

Chicago?   :puke:   Two references in two threads tonight?  You gotta be kidding me, dude. 

You're perty switched-on for a fourteen year-old, but trust me-- if I listened to Chicago I'd be in the closet, too.   :ph34r:  Would I offend if I said you seem like a prime candidate for a pedantic Rush fan?   ^_^

Hey! Whachoo doin' dissin' Chicago? And my man, Jimmy Pankow? I played trombone in a Chicago (& B, S, & T) band in high school. Don't listen to them much anymore, but still appreciate Jimmy's arrangements. He's no Dave Bargeron on the trombone (or the tuba), but he plays good. A little fay on the stage, but hey, nobody's perfeck.

But the seventies rock groups that have held on for me are Led Zeppelin, The Allman Brothers, and Lynyrd Skynyrd. "Turn it up!"
"The state can only survive as long as a majority is programmed to believe that theft isn't wrong if it's called taxation or asset forfeiture or eminent domain, that assault and kidnapping isn't wrong if it's called arrest, that mass murder isn't wrong if it's called war." -- Bill St. Clair

"Separation of Earth and state!" -- Bill St. Clair

Rarick

• Rarick in the Gulch-O-Dome did decree.......
« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2006, 07:47:32 am »

A little Chicago, The Eagles, The Beatles, maybe some other miscellaneous stuff...

Look up: Rush, Boston, Jethro Tull, some Journey.  Try Santana too.  All of them make good listening for thought or background.
........Duct tape is like the force, it has a light side, a darkside and holds the universe together.  It is theoretically reinforced with strings too.  (The dome has a darkside, lightside and strings of rebar for reinforcement too!)
-------------------------------------------
Most of the time news is about the same old violations of the first principles of consent and golden rule with a dash of force thrown in........ with just enough duct tape to be believable.

Dare2BFree

« Reply #18 on: August 16, 2006, 08:54:50 am »

And don't forget King Crimson, America, CSN&Y, and Deep Purple.....oh, just too many to list  :)
If I had known that these days would have changed my life - I would have dressed better.   ~ me

No man's life, liberty or property are safe while the legislature is in session.  ~ Judge Gideon J. Tucker

securitysix

• Self Proclaimed Champion Thread Derailer
« Reply #19 on: August 16, 2006, 12:16:30 pm »

Badmuggafugga missed a few important classic rock bands, such as Creedence Clearwater Revival (aka CCR aka Creedence).  And no mention of Three Dog Night (just forget "Joy To The World", cause it's overplayed), either.  Shame, shame!

But he did give props to JJ Cale, which almost makes up for that...  Don't forget, Skynyrd borrowed a JJ Cale song, too ("Call Me The Breeze").

Good thing Bill St. Clair stepped up and mentioned the Allman Brothers and Skynyrd, as they are essential classic rock.  Some of their stuff ventures more toward blues (Ballad of Curtis Loew) and some of their ballads have a little country feel to them, but mostly, it's good, honest rock.

And let us not forget Foreigner and BTO (Bachman Turner Overdrive).

Then there's Charlie Daniels, who got his start in the music business by playing as a studio/session musician for the likes of Bob Dylan.  He later went on to cut songs like "Trudy" and "Jitterbug".

And if we want to step back a little farther into the true history of rock and roll, we must look at Buddy Holly and Chuck Berry. 
"That's what governments are for; get in a man's way." - Malcom Reynolds

"This country has come to feel the same when Congress is in session as when the baby gets hold of a hammer." - Will Rogers

Rarick

« Reply #20 on: August 16, 2006, 01:05:50 pm »

I was just trying to stick with the tone of the stuff he already says he likes.  Intead of trying to turn him into a music historian, it is easy for most of us, we lived it, its just cluttered esoterica to him.  Kind of like mom and dad talking Aretha, Joplin, Everly Brothers, Les Brown, and them.  A lot of our stuff is almost elevetor music, it is definately supermarket music.  That's the sudden shocker for me, I remember mom and dad humming along with that stuff when I was growing, suddenly I KNEW why they knew the tunes.

I also remember keeping my mouth shut around the parents about their "sacred cow" subjects.  It was easiest to follow that Cheap Trick song.  Which pretty much covers the mole role "surrender, but don't give yourself away".
........Duct tape is like the force, it has a light side, a darkside and holds the universe together.  It is theoretically reinforced with strings too.  (The dome has a darkside, lightside and strings of rebar for reinforcement too!)
Most of the time news is about the same old violations of the first principles of consent and golden rule with a dash of force thrown in........ with just enough duct tape to be believable.

securitysix

• Self Proclaimed Champion Thread Derailer
« Reply #21 on: August 16, 2006, 01:28:01 pm »

Some of y'all lived it, but I was born a couple of years after the Eagles started their 14 year vacation.  I am older than jguy, but I grew up mostly on my parents music, and they grew up on CCR, the Eagles, BTO, Bad Company, Foreigner and the like.

I figure if he likes the Eagles, he'll like CCR and Three Dog night, and if he likes those, he'll like the rest.  Heck, he even likes the Beatles.  I've never been a big fan of the Beatles, though they do have a few songs I like.  But yeah, if he likes The Eagles and The Beatles, he'll probably like most of the other classic rock, too.
"That's what governments are for; get in a man's way." - Malcom Reynolds

"This country has come to feel the same when Congress is in session as when the baby gets hold of a hammer." - Will Rogers

badmuggafugga

« Reply #22 on: August 19, 2006, 02:16:18 am »

Is it too late to warn the young'un away from Styx?    :laugh:

styxisworsethanrushdontwasteyourlifestyxisworsethanrushdontwasteyourlifestyxisworsethanrushdontwasteyourlife

"Bad guys who wear badges and judges' robes and have all the other people who wear badges and judges' robes on their side, can take your toys and no one will help you get them back!"

Every year without knowing it I have passed the day
When the last fires will wave to me
And the silence will set out
Tireless traveler
Like the beam of a lightless star

Rarick

« Reply #23 on: August 19, 2006, 06:22:49 am »

Styk was Too Techno rather than Rocking.

Jebur27

• Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak!
« Reply #24 on: August 19, 2006, 12:43:38 pm »

Eh, the only Chicago song I really care for is 25 or 6 to 4. You have to admit that Terry Kath's guitar solo is awesome.

Anyway, I may listen to some Floyd; my friend (a geek) loves the stuff.

Especially, the pre-"Dark Side Of The Moon" stuff.  Just listening to it gets me buzzed.  Of course, a lot of the rest of Pink Floyd gets me buzzed, too.
There is only one thing that remains to us, that cannot be taken away: To act with courage and dignity and to stick to the ideals that have given meaning to life.
-Jawaharlal Nehru

There's no joke we can tell about the fedgov that they can't turn into an even more absurd truth about themselves.
-Claire Wolfe

"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest". -- Denis Diderot

NotMe

« Reply #25 on: August 22, 2006, 04:05:32 pm »

<sigh> and nobody mentioned Nirvana, I feel so alone.  I had a mother who raised me on everything from James Brown (&Motown) to the Beatles to Carly Simon, Prince, to Guns & Roses.  She was a great influence to music since she liked everything.

But JGuy101, I think most of us have gone through the whole "I'm so misunderstood" thing.  I say just do your own thing, try and stay out of trouble.  If guns and politics are big deals to your parents, then just don't bring it up.  Or be  a smart @$$ and tell them you were told "people shouldn't talk about sex, politics and religion" and drop the subject.  It really screws with people when you won't argue.  Take the high road.  You will be your own man soon enough, save the cussin' and discussin' for then.

Says NotMe, who can not talk to her parents about religion, alcoholism, the number of children I should have, and money.  And I'm 31.

Bear

• Curious Bear
« Reply #26 on: August 24, 2006, 03:24:47 pm »

I was in a music store one day, when I overheard two young girls talking. One pointed to a CD
and said "That's Paul McCartney. He used to have an old band called Wings."

I almost choked on my spit. WINGS? WINGS??? (calming down....)

That's almost as bad as the first time I heard the Beatles being played as elevator music.

Bear
"There is no good idea so perfect, so pure,
that Government can't do it badly."
-- Bear

lewlew

« Reply #27 on: August 24, 2006, 05:05:04 pm »

When it comes to family, as NoMe said, some subjects like politics and religion are just best left alone.  It's just really difficult when you look at the looonnngg road between 14 and 18. Ironically, this same road  for parents is simultaneously way too short, and way too long =).

As for the thread hijack, I have to disagree BMF about Styx.  They aren't a complete waste of time.  Madame Blue and Lorelei are pretty cool songs.  Also, I think the disaffected teens of today listen to stuff like the Blood Brothers or haunt the local scene. 
The "prematurely adultified" to "too-oldly juveniled" transition ain't pretty.  It's like a divorcee shopping at Hot Topic. 
  I love it.  I've seen this in action, and it's painful to watch.

Mr. Bill

« Reply #28 on: August 25, 2006, 01:10:23 pm »

Okay, you want some real rebel music?  How about Wilhelm Friedemann Bach's Sinfonia in F major (Fk 67)?  I can imagine him finishing the first movement and thinking "There, that'll show Daddy a thing or two!"

Arnold Schoenberg was purportedly a musical rebel, inventing his new 12-tone stuff because everything possible had already been done with "old-fashioned" music (my own opinion is that he just wasn't a good enough composer to write any).  But for serious rebellion along these lines, try Harry Partch, who dispensed with the 12-notes-to-the-octave scale entirely, designed new scales from scratch, and (in this period before practical electronic synthesizers) designed and built his own instruments to play his music.  I'm fond of "Castor & Pollux", which is entirely instumental; for something more rebellious (and, be warned, possibly offensive), try "Barstow", humorous variations on early-40's hitchhiker graffiti from a highway railing outside Barstow CA.  Jguy101, playing this will probably seriously annoy your parents and convince them that you are a normal rebellious teen.  :laugh:

Joel

• Just a peckerwood who lives in the hills with too many guns.
« Reply #29 on: August 25, 2006, 02:07:25 pm »

I was in a music store one day, when I overheard two young girls talking. One pointed to a CD
and said "That's Paul McCartney. He used to have an old band called Wings."

I almost choked on my spit. WINGS? WINGS??? (calming down....)

That's almost as bad as the first time I heard the Beatles being played as elevator music.

Bear

:laugh: :laugh: This is hilarious, because I once heard a joke that said, "You'll know you're old when you meet a young adult who doesn't know Paul McCartney was in a band before Wings."
Yet another Freedomista blog: The Ultimate Answer to Kings is not a bullet, but a belly laugh.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up