The Mental Militia Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Puppy Linux help  (Read 1314 times)

Jguy101

Puppy Linux help
« on: July 22, 2006, 12:00:21 pm »

Okay, so I downloaded Puppy, burnt it to a disk, and booted it on my PC. I plugged in my flash drive, reformatted it (with the Puppy installer), and tried to install Puppy to it.

Well, it won't boot, even from QEMU.

Any idea what I might have to do to get it to work?

Bill St. Clair

• Techie
    • End the War on Freedom
Re: Puppy Linux help
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2006, 12:43:03 pm »

If you reformatted the Flash drive as ext2 or ext3, that may be your problem. The BIOS will often only recognize FAT32 file systems on USB flash drive volumes. Reformat the Flash drive as a single FAT32 partition, and do the install again. Puppy coexists nicely with Windows files in such an environment. At least it works for me, on my machine that can boot at all from USB.

I'm at work using my USB puppy machine in Windows right now. If you have problems, ask again, and I'll be able to give better help at home with Puppy running. Or search and ask at the Puppy Forum, or the IRC channel, which comes up by default in Puppy's GAIM.
"The state can only survive as long as a majority is programmed to believe that theft isn't wrong if it's called taxation or asset forfeiture or eminent domain, that assault and kidnapping isn't wrong if it's called arrest, that mass murder isn't wrong if it's called war." -- Bill St. Clair

"Separation of Earth and state!" -- Bill St. Clair

Jguy101

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2006, 01:55:42 pm »

If you reformatted the Flash drive as ext2 or ext3, that may be your problem. The BIOS will often only recognize FAT32 file systems on USB flash drive volumes. Reformat the Flash drive as a single FAT32 partition, and do the install again. Puppy coexists nicely with Windows files in such an environment. At least it works for me, on my machine that can boot at all from USB.

I'm at work using my USB puppy machine in Windows right now. If you have problems, ask again, and I'll be able to give better help at home with Puppy running. Or search and ask at the Puppy Forum, or the IRC channel, which comes up by default in Puppy's GAIM.
Actually, I formatted it for VFAT.

Anyway, thanks for the link; I'll check it out in Windows, since I can't use the web in Puppy (when we first got DSL, my dad had an old computer with USB 1.1, so I hooked up my PC to the model via USB and he hooked it up via Ethernet. He has a new one now, so I should probably go out and see if I can find 16 feet of Ethernet).

Bill St. Clair

• Techie
    • End the War on Freedom
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2006, 02:02:47 pm »

Hmm... VFAT may be correct. Not sure. I didn't do any formatting of my USB key. Just used it as it was, as Windows liked it. Running Puppy in USB 1 is painfully slow. And my USB 1 machine refuses to boot from USB. USB 2 on my other machine works well, however.
"The state can only survive as long as a majority is programmed to believe that theft isn't wrong if it's called taxation or asset forfeiture or eminent domain, that assault and kidnapping isn't wrong if it's called arrest, that mass murder isn't wrong if it's called war." -- Bill St. Clair

"Separation of Earth and state!" -- Bill St. Clair
Pages: [1]   Go Up