The Mental Militia Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: PGP 6.58 and winme help please  (Read 1376 times)

padre29

• Cavaliere d' Onore
  • Civily Dead
PGP 6.58 and winme help please
« on: July 24, 2006, 10:31:52 pm »

Alright, I downloaded PGP 6.58 the other day from the Norwegian site. And got around to installing it today.

After making my passphrases, and shutting down, my whole system is not responding. It will boot up, but after that nothing, locked down tighter than a..well it's just locked down. ctrl-alt-del only tells me that windows explorer is not responding.

Any ideas why this would happen?
Video in Venitur

Gotblog?

http://tthelastcause.blogspot.com/

debra

Re: PGP 6.58 and winme help please
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2006, 10:27:31 am »

Well, you have the "Windows ME" virus .... :D

Okay, seriously, you might have to try to boot up in safe mode and uninstall PGP for now. To boot into safe mode you should be able to start wacking the F8 key as soon as you turn on the computer, and this will give you a menu of options, including safe mode.

If this doesn't work, turn on your computer, wait 1-2 seconds after you see the WinME splash screen, then turn off your computer by holding down the power button until it turns off (or just literally pulling the plug). Then start it again and you'll get the boot menu screen because "Windows didn't start properly." Choose "safe mode", which loads up Windows without all your start up items, etc, and (assuming it does't lock), uninstall PGP.

Then go get XP. ;)

securitysix

• Self Proclaimed Champion Thread Derailer
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2006, 11:17:50 am »

F5 will take you directly to safe mode instead of giving you the startup menu like F8 will.  You can also hold down the SHIFT key if you prefer. 

If you could get normal windows to respond at all, you could also go to Start>Run and type MSCONFIG (not case sensitive).  In the MSCONFIG window should be a few tabs, leave it on the one it opens to, which should be "General" if memory serves.  On this tab should be an "Advanced" button.  Clicking it will show you several options, one of which should say "Enable Startup Menu" or something to that effect.  If you check that option and hit OK, the next time you reboot, you'll be given the startup menu without having to hit F8 at all.

And, if all else fails, you can always reinstall Windows, although that can be a pain, and depending on your setup, may well lose all of your info.

I won't dog Windows ME too much except to say that it is the worst OS Microsoft has ever released, ever.  If you do decide to get a different version of Windows, I'd recommend either 2000 or XP Professional.
"That's what governments are for; get in a man's way." - Malcom Reynolds

"This country has come to feel the same when Congress is in session as when the baby gets hold of a hammer." - Will Rogers

debra

« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2006, 11:46:35 am »

Actually XP home and XP pro are exactly the same OS -- pro lets you hook to a domain, is all.  Home is deliberately crippled from doing that. And pro includes the windows backup utility on its menu system (home, you have to hunt for it). So if you can find XP home cheaper than pro, it's just as good for non-corporate use.

padre29

• Cavaliere d' Onore
  • Civily Dead
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2006, 11:51:52 am »

When I tried to go into msconfig, that was when the system froze.

What no WinMe love????

XP is my "line in the sand" when it comes to MS, if forced to use it I will switch to linux.
Video in Venitur

Gotblog?

http://tthelastcause.blogspot.com/

securitysix

• Self Proclaimed Champion Thread Derailer
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2006, 11:57:00 am »

Actually XP home and XP pro are exactly the same OS -- pro lets you hook to a domain, is all.  Home is deliberately crippled from doing that. And pro includes the windows backup utility on its menu system (home, you have to hunt for it). So if you can find XP home cheaper than pro, it's just as good for non-corporate use.

This is true.  Then again, either of those two would be better than XP x64 unless you have need for a 64-bit OS.  I've been running x64 on my home desktop for a while now and while it mostly works fine, I have found a few things that just flat out don't recognize it as Windows and won't install.  And some other things will install fine, but if you use the default directory for installing, it won't run, but if you don't put it in one of the program files folders, it works fine.  Go figure that.

So, if you want the fullest functionality you can get with XP without getting into the hassle of the 64-bit stuff, XP Pro.

And if you refuse to use XP but want a Windows OS that will run pretty much anything out there, even the stuff that won't run on 98, get 2000 Pro.  Usually, if it's not compatible with 98, it's not going to be compatible with ME, either, anyway.
"That's what governments are for; get in a man's way." - Malcom Reynolds

"This country has come to feel the same when Congress is in session as when the baby gets hold of a hammer." - Will Rogers
Pages: [1]   Go Up