The Mental Militia Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

A welcome from Elias for all new members!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Homespun Telephone System  (Read 500 times)

S. Jester

• Sovereign Anarchist
Homespun Telephone System
« on: January 13, 2013, 05:35:35 pm »

Just something to consider if it ever gets that bad.

http://www.texashillcountry.com/Stories/RuralTelephoneSystems.htm

However, after thinking about it, I don't see how it would work without the kind of phone that don't generate its own power, like the old crank phones.

S.
Blessed are the Peacemakers! The Colt .45 Peacemakers!

Why pay any attention to Government? Ignore them!

Rarick

• Rarick in the Gulch-O-Dome did decree.......
Re: Homespun Telephone System
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2013, 02:04:00 am »

solar panel (Small) and batteries, heck those self recharging solar flashlites would probably give you the juice.........
........Duct tape is like the force, it has a light side, a darkside and holds the universe together.  It is theoretically reinforced with strings too.  (The dome has a darkside, lightside and strings of rebar for reinforcement too!)
-------------------------------------------
Most of the time news is about the same old violations of the first principles of consent and golden rule with a dash of force thrown in........

bennie

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2013, 03:43:05 am »

Interesting story. Having personally experiencing mostly "party lines" from the 50's through the 70's, I can relate well.

My Great-Grandmother ran the phone service (swtchboard operator), out of her 2-room home, in Dickens, Tx from 1926 to 1951. After sundown during the week, and on Sundays, the phone line was closed.

Moonbeam

• Faith Hope Love
  • I am blessed!
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2013, 08:34:22 am »

After sundown during the week, and on Sundays, the phone line was closed.

Hey, that as my Dad's rule, too!  :laugh:
I'm not where I want to be, but I'm better than where I was!

Freedom is not being able to do what you want to do; freedom is being able to NOT do what you don't want to do.

"We must not amuse ourselves with the notion that we have done something when we have only formed a good resolution. Power comes by doing and not by resolving." Charlotte Mason

"Don't hurt people and don't take their stuff." Courtesy of FreedomWorks

padre29

• Cavaliere d' Onore
  • Civily Dead
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2013, 09:08:57 am »

True, now with ham radios and grms and even things like midlands ship to shore radios you could probably figure something out that is a little more consistent.
Video in Venitur

Gotblog?

http://tthelastcause.blogspot.com/

gaurdduck

« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2013, 10:31:16 am »

cool

Bear

• Curious Bear
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2013, 10:35:26 am »

Interesting story. Having personally experiencing mostly "party lines" from the 50's through the 70's, I can relate well.

My Great-Grandmother ran the phone service (swtchboard operator), out of her 2-room home, in Dickens, Tx from 1926 to 1951. After sundown during the week, and on Sundays, the phone line was closed.

My father told me that when a phone line finally came out to the ranch, it was a party line
for the area. There were some folks who were habitually nosy, and would listen in after it
was clear the call was not for them. The solution was simple - when you hear an eaves dropper
listening in, just switch to French. The eaves dropper would usually hang up shortly there after.

Bear
"There is no good idea so perfect, so pure,
that Government can't do it badly."
-- Bear

gooch

• Mr. Badger ? Maybe ....
  • 32*25' N X 77*05' W X 060 Mag
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2013, 06:10:28 pm »

My uncle Dale [may he RIP] used to live in south central Missouri and was a Veterinarian.

My brother and I used to get shipped off to his house every summer for about four years. [so my folks could have a break I'd guess. :dontknow: ]
We would work for Uncle Dale during the day and hang out on the weekends.
He had a party line and when he wanted to get a modicum of privacy he would announce to all listening on the line "ahem hello everyone Mr So-N-so and I are going to be talking Stud Horse for the next few minutes so if that sort of stuff bothers you it might be time to hang up." He would then wait for a minute or so and continue with his conversation.
He said it usually worked like a charm and every so often he would hear the *Gasp* of one of the nosy's who was offended by the term "Stud Horse".

When the phone would ring we would count the rings. His ring was two long and two short.

Man ... that's a long time ago.
Hezekiah Wyman  My Personal Role Model/Hero
"Come and Take It"  The Gonzales Flag, Gonzales, Texas 1835
"To win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the highest skill.
To subdue the enemy without fighting is the highest skill."
 SUN-TZU
III
Pages: [1]   Go Up