The Mental Militia Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

A welcome from Elias for all new members!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Boost Your WiFi Signal Using Only a Beer Can  (Read 733 times)

MamaLiberty

• It's not that people are dumber, it's that stupidity used to be more painful.
  • Administrator
  • Individual Sovereign/ Personal responsibility
    • The Price of Liberty
Boost Your WiFi Signal Using Only a Beer Can
« on: November 07, 2011, 11:03:05 am »

I don't know if this really works or not, but the article is very funny... as are some of the comments.

http://dsc.discovery.com/gear-gadgets/boost-your-wifi-signal-using-only-a-beer-can.html#mkcpgn=otbn1
Boost Your WiFi Signal Using Only a Beer Can

I love a good hack, especially one that requires me to throw back a cold one before hand (or during). This simple wifi boost has actually been shown to increase signal strength by at least 2 to 4 bars. And, well, I will drink to that.
But, in the end, I live and therefore I am. I don't need any other person's permission to live or defend myself. I don't need anyone's vetting of my intentions or sanity, nor approval for the self defense tool I choose or how I carry it.

I don't NEED to explain myself. I don't NEED any reasons at all.

Bear

• Curious Bear
Re: Boost Your WiFi Signal Using Only a Beer Can
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2011, 01:16:03 pm »

Yes, this can work, but the shape matters.

Here's a good way to think about vertical antennas:

Cut a round piece of paper. Imagine this represents the signal seen from above,
radiating in all directions.

Now fold the paper in half into a semi circle. If you put a flat reflector in back of the
antenna, this is effectively what you've done - you've doubled the signal strength
on the side opposite the reflector. Doubling the power is a 3dB gain in power.

This is represented by the paper model in that how the folded paper is twice as thick.

Now fold the paper in half again, so that it is a quarter circle. The paper is four layers
thick, and the signal has four times the energy. (Another 3dB gain is 6 dB total).

You accomplish this by using two reflectors that meet at right angles - just like the paper model.

Now, if you use a curved reflector, the actual gain depends on the particular shape. If you make
it a parabola, so that the the antenna is at the focus, that it becomes like a flash light, and
the gain can be quite high.

Bear

"There is no good idea so perfect, so pure,
that Government can't do it badly."
-- Bear

Rarick

• Rarick in the Gulch-O-Dome did decree.......
Re: Boost Your WiFi Signal Using Only a Beer Can
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2011, 08:05:38 pm »

That is the way I learned it.  That is also why a lot of high gain antennas are parabolas, efficient use of energy for longer range, especially if you know a location you are sending the signal too.......  Something to keep in mind if you are using wireless, you can give away your location if you have a bunch of antennas pointing back to you home from something like my wireless camera rigs........  Somewhere along the line you will need a broadcast (regular) antenna as a cut out......or aim a lower gain antenna off axis on purpose..........
........Duct tape is like the force, it has a light side, a darkside and holds the universe together.  It is theoretically reinforced with strings too.  (The dome has a darkside, lightside and strings of rebar for reinforcement too!)
-------------------------------------------
Most of the time news is about the same old violations of the first principles of consent and golden rule with a dash of force thrown in........
Pages: [1]   Go Up