The Mental Militia Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Optimal rice/beans ratio for survival?  (Read 4795 times)

T. Eotwawki

Optimal rice/beans ratio for survival?
« on: May 17, 2011, 03:08:58 am »

I've been reading ratios of 50/50, 60/40 and others on the "best" ratio of rice and beans for complete protein, and considering I just bought another 140 pounds of pinto beans tonight, I thought I'd throw this question out for discussion.

Bonnie

Re: Optimal rice/beans ratio for survival?
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2011, 12:33:07 pm »

According to the latest from Frances Moore Lappé, there is no such thing as an incomplete protein. She changed her views on this after doing more research. As long as you are eating a fairly balanced diet with green veggies, root veggies, & fruit, you'll do okay on any ratio - or even no ratio - of rice & beans. But variety is the spice of life, so get both, & different kinds so you don't tire of the taste & texture.

God bless,
Bonnie
Opportunity Farm
NE WA
God bless,
Bonnie
Opportunity Farm
NE WA

Used books at BonniesBooks.net :hello:

gaurdduck

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2011, 02:21:09 pm »

What kinds are you stocking? They all have different amounts of protein in each kind of rice, and each kind of bean. Same goes for starch content, fat content, etc... Are you really into Mexican food or do you plan to make a tonne of Azuki Daifuku Mochi?

Mountain Prepper

• Observation, logic, communication, and acceptance is the only rational path.
  • Crafty Mountain Coyote
    • Rocky Mountain Preparedness
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2011, 04:51:36 pm »

What kinds are you stocking? They all have different amounts of protein in each kind of rice, and each kind of bean. Same goes for starch content, fat content, etc... Are you really into Mexican food or do you plan to make a tonne of Azuki Daifuku Mochi?

American stores are severally lacking in foodstuffs such as the Asian and Indian rice and beans varieties.

Sad, because the diet is so bland.
http://mountainpreparedness.blogspot.com

The majority of the populace remains willfully and blissfully ignorant of the fact that they are simply trained monkeys owned by the oligarchy. The act of voting is only another delusion to distract, similar to sports, controlled media manipulation, and religion. Nothing is ever “fixed” because “normal” is both mediocre and cowardly.

freewoman

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2011, 07:37:54 pm »

From what I've read over the years, 50/50 is pretty standard among survivalists, but YMMV.  I have an article called "A New Staple Food" by Kurt Saxon that recommends 25% each of pinto beans, corn, wheat, and rye.  Unfortunately I can't find that article online any longer; it had some good recipes and ideas in it.  (I like Kurt's survival stuff but not the racist position he espouses; eat the hay and spit out the sticks, so to speak!)  When I get some time--perhaps next weekend, when I'm temporarily "kidless" and have an extra day off--I'll type that article up into a post for those who are interested.

Protein combining isn't necessary for healthy adults, as the body does that naturally over a period of a day (it takes foods apart and recombines their chemical constituents to get the needed mix of amino acids).  Your activity level and a variety of other factors will cause all your nutrient needs to vary from day to day, so perhaps planning for a set combination might not take care of everyone's needs.  A combination of whole grains, beans, and veggies will provide all your macronutrients, if you're consuming enough calories.  Some survivalists focus almost exclusively on calorie counts; some worry about protein levels;  I personally prefer a balanced nutritional approach featuring high-nutrient-dense foods.  (Except for the occasional Twinkie!)  I try to eat a nutrient-dense diet now, for the most part; not waiting for the feces to impact the rotating airfoil.

Junker

« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2011, 07:51:58 pm »

Essential amino acid     From Wikipedia (here)

An essential amino acid or indispensable amino acid is an amino acid that cannot
 be synthesized de novo by the organism (usually referring to humans), and
therefore must be supplied in the diet.
Estimating the daily requirement for the indispensable amino acids has proven
to be difficult; these numbers have undergone considerable revision over the
last 20 years. The following table lists the WHO recommended daily amounts
currently in use for essential amino acids in adult humans, together with their
standard one-letter abbreviations.
See also
 Biological Value (BV)
 Complete protein
 Essential nutrient
 Essential fatty acid
 Edible protein per unit area of land
 List of standard amino acids
 Orthomolecular medicine
 Protein Digestibility Corrected Amino Acid Score

Mountain Prepper

• Crafty Mountain Coyote
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2011, 08:12:37 pm »

It is practically impossible to design a diet based on unrefined starches and vegetables that would fail to provide enough protein, including sufficient amounts of all of the essential amino acids, to support human health.[8]

Nor is it necessary to combine "complementary" plant sources to provide complete protein.[12]

Plant Foods Have a Complete Amino Acid Composition
http://circ.ahajournals.org/cgi/content/full/105/25/e197

The majority of the populace remains willfully and blissfully ignorant of the fact that they are simply trained monkeys owned by the oligarchy. The act of voting is only another delusion to distract, similar to sports, controlled media manipulation, and religion. Nothing is ever “fixed” because “normal” is both mediocre and cowardly.

T. Eotwawki

« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2011, 08:22:57 pm »

What's the opposite of an amino acid?

A nice old acid!  :laugh:

Junker

« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2011, 08:25:57 pm »

"Therefore, a careful look at the founding scientific research and
some simple math prove it is impossible to design an amino
acid–deficient diet based on the amounts of unprocessed starches
and vegetables sufficient to meet the calorie needs of humans."

Good. Tks, MP.

Mountain Prepper

• Crafty Mountain Coyote
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2011, 09:20:06 pm »

"Therefore, a careful look at the founding scientific research and
some simple math prove it is impossible to design an amino
acid–deficient diet based on the amounts of unprocessed starches
and vegetables sufficient to meet the calorie needs of humans."

Good. Tks, MP.

Good news for us as far as food storage.

Inexpensive bulk wheat, rice, beans, and corn can produce a living diet for our families.

Add dried/dehydrated/freeze dried foods and sprouting and one could most likely live better and healthier from storage food than our current diets.

To prove this point - document everything you and your family eats every day for a month... If you were ever disgusted and afraid this will do it, I hear far too much about nutrition from the yuppie survivalists out there and never a review of the current eating standards (or lack of them). To be honest if your diet is crap now, when forced to eat (and cook) bulk storage food you would most likely have several steps up in quality!

I shudder at what my wife and kids survive on NOW, the wife and all but one child think that the food groups are what make the boxes square and what makes the colors printed on the fast food wrappers!

gaurdduck

« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2011, 02:35:05 am »

American stores are severally lacking in foodstuffs such as the Asian and Indian rice and beans varieties.

I'm in NC and I find it just fine. And ask anybody that's been here, this place is about as backwards as it gets.

Mountain Prepper

• Crafty Mountain Coyote
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2011, 06:31:29 am »

I'm in NC and I find it just fine. And ask anybody that's been here, this place is about as backwards as it gets.

Your lucky... we get “adzuki” what?

gaurdduck

« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2011, 07:46:14 am »

Your lucky... we get “adzuki” what?

It's actually Azuki (小豆) but the packaging in English usually adds an errant d to the word. It's impossible to write "adzuki" in Japanese characters, and Azuki is a Japanese word. Funny right?

Moonbeam

• Faith Hope Love
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2011, 11:36:27 am »

... think that the food groups are what make the boxes square and what makes the colors printed on the fast food wrappers!

Well that's just silly! The 4 Major Food Groups are of course: cheese, chocolate, ice cream and potatoes  :laugh:
I'm not where I want to be, but I'm better than where I was!

Freedom is not being able to do what you want to do; freedom is being able to NOT do what you don't want to do.

"We must not amuse ourselves with the notion that we have done something when we have only formed a good resolution. Power comes by doing and not by resolving." Charlotte Mason

"Don't hurt people and don't take their stuff." Courtesy of FreedomWorks

gaurdduck

« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2011, 03:23:52 pm »

... think that the food groups are what make the boxes square and what makes the colors printed on the fast food wrappers!

Well that's just silly! The 4 Major Food Groups are of course: cheese, chocolate, ice cream and potatoes  :laugh:

The Japanese Six Basic Food Groups:
Rice, Soya, Fish, Sea Vegetables, Sakura and Ume fruits, Veggies.

The Four Basic Food Groups of the Bachelor:
Pizza, Burgers, Cold Cereal, Beer.

The Nerd's V 845!< F00dz:
Sushi, Curry Cup Noodle, Ozeki One Cup, Choco Coronets, Kohi (Wasei-eigo for "Coffee").

Naruto's Basic Foods:
Miso Ramen, Shoyu Ramen, The Curry of Life, Kitsune Udon.

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up