Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Check out and contribute to our new Wolfekipedia:
http://thementalmilitia.com/wiki/
or
https://thementalmilitia.com/wiki/

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: The 1911 .45ACP  (Read 4156 times)

Junker

The 1911 .45ACP
« on: April 23, 2011, 01:15:43 pm »

Bill's End the War on Freedom got the Ruger 1911 up-- Ruger SR1911 45ACP Semi-auto-pistol
@ $799

I looked around...below... almost $400 more for the Ruger brand?
Worth it?  Or is it just cool for those who'll  pay?

= = =
"You can buy an average 1911 pistol made by the Rock Island Armory. It is a 1911A1 design and
it costs $439.95 and it is on sale by J&G Sales gunstore in Arizona. They can ship it to your local
FFL dealer and your dealer will perform a background check, and then hand it over to you.
Here is the link below"
http://www.jgsales.com/index.php/handguns/1911-style/cPath/16_365?osCsid=a38a29e92a2da2de672f268aca18e87e

CAI Shooters Arms 1911 Military 45ACP. (New Lower Price)      2-1216xqx     
CAI Shooters Arms 1911 Military 45ACP. (New Lower Price)   
$429.95

MommaHen

Re: The 1911 .45ACP
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2011, 09:46:17 pm »

I want a 1911 .45....but havent decided on a maker yet.
 The Springfield ( I think its the LightWeight Operator) has been the best fit for my hand size )

I'm anxious to see the responses here :D

Mountain Prepper

• Observation, logic, communication, and acceptance is the only rational path.
  • Crafty Mountain Coyote
    • Rocky Mountain Preparedness
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2011, 11:04:57 pm »

The direct descendant of the 1911 designed evolution from John M. Browning, to Dieudonné J. Saive and on is the current FNP-45 USG from FNH.

Currently available at about 560 bucks it has 14 and 15 round magazines and all of the best features of the 1911 and the High-Power along with all of the advances in polymers and steel.

It is worth the time for every .45 fan to check one out, I know three die-hard 1911 cultists that have made the switch in the last year or so.
http://mountainpreparedness.blogspot.com

The majority of the populace remains willfully and blissfully ignorant of the fact that they are simply trained monkeys owned by the oligarchy. The act of voting is only another delusion to distract, similar to sports, controlled media manipulation, and religion. Nothing is ever fixed because normal is both mediocre and cowardly.

securitysix

• Self Proclaimed Champion Thread Derailer
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2011, 11:02:37 am »

"Which 1911 is best?" is right up there with the "9mm vs. .45" debate.  I've shot Rock Islands, Springfields, Kimbers, Llamas (both under that name and "Firestorm"), and Colts. 

For me, an arched mainspring housing is a must.  They point low otherwise.  Despite that, I still want a Para LTC.  If I ever pop for one, it will almost definitely get an arched mainspring housing in short order, but I like to shoot a gun stock before I start fiddling with it and changing things.

I like my Parkerized Springfield Mil-Spec, which I've "pimped out" by swapping a few of the parked parts for stainless ones.  It has nothing to do with the functionality of the gun, but having the recoil spring plug, barrel bushing, hammer, thumb safety (went to an ambi-safety at the same time), slide release, grip safety, and mainspring housing be stainless on a Parkerized frame and slide just looks cool to me.

The Rock Island pistols are functionally just as good as any other 1911.  The fit and finish on them isn't as pretty as it is on a Kimber or a Springfield, but they'll run the same ammo just as good for half the price.  The one thing I don't like about the Rock Island pistols is that they come with smooth grip panels, and I prefer some checkering.

My advice when it comes to 1911s is this:  If you find one you like, get it.  If you can't find one exactly like you want it, be shocked, then find one very close to what you want, get it, and make the adjustments you need to make it right for you.
"That's what governments are for; get in a man's way." - Malcom Reynolds

"This country has come to feel the same when Congress is in session as when the baby gets hold of a hammer." - Will Rogers

MommaHen

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2011, 03:10:16 pm »

I want a 1911 .45....but havent decided on a maker yet.
 The Springfield ( I think its the LightWeight Operator) has been the best fit for my hand size )

I'm anxious to see the responses here :D

For decades you're a staunch 1911 nut , then one day you go to the range with a bunch of buddies with real trick 1911s ( with your own Kimber and others)......and on that day you..

Shoot a Sig (p220)

You go from having three 1911s to having one kept for old times sake and a couple of 220s....

Do you think a Sig p220 would "fit" my small girlie hands? I want to be able to lock the slide catch with my thumb, without reaching...
Sadly I dont think I have any gun shops around here that would carry it so I can hold it in my hands.

kirgi07

• Acting as a Curmudgeon unless otherwise specified.
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2011, 05:43:31 pm »

I'd be real cautious about a Para,I've seen way too many come apart.They use MIM in their components,there are better options out there.YMMV. Ought 7.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2011, 11:31:48 pm by kirgi07 »
If you look like food you will be EATEN.

I'd rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6.

securitysix

• Self Proclaimed Champion Thread Derailer
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2011, 06:54:37 pm »

I'd be real cautious about a Para,I've seen way too many come apart.They use MIM is their components,there are better options out there.YMMV. Ought 7.

I'm not opposed to MIM parts, nor am I bothered by parts that are investment cast instead of forged.  These are just manufacturing methods.  Done poorly, you get substandard junk.  Done correctly, you get a part that's just as good for a significantly lower price.  The same can be said for forging, milling, and any other manufacturing process, whether you're limiting it to the firearms industry or not. 

Colt, Springfield and Kimber all use the Metal Injection Molding process to make some of their parts, too.  In fact, most firearms manufacturers use MIM for at least some of their parts.
"That's what governments are for; get in a man's way." - Malcom Reynolds

"This country has come to feel the same when Congress is in session as when the baby gets hold of a hammer." - Will Rogers

Junker

« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2011, 06:20:01 pm »

The story, the pics--      http://gunblast.com/Ruger-SR1911.htm

MSRP as of the date of this writing is
    $799 US. That is well under the price
    of other stainless American-made 1911
    pistols, and it is even lower than
    comparable imports.

The SR1911 comes supplied with two magazines;
    one is a seven-shot mag which fits flush with
    the grip frame, and the other is an eight-shot
    mag with extended base pad. Both mags are made
    of stainless steel. The SR1911 will accept any
    aftermarket 1911 magazines.

Junker

« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2011, 06:23:00 pm »

Shopping results for 45 acp price
Beretta PX4 45ACP 4.02in. FDE Bl 9 and 10R BRXF5F45
$542
Hornady 9112 hrndy 45ACP 200gr JHP/XTP 20/200
$12
Taurus PT1911 Pistol .45 ACP 5in 8rd Black 1-191101
$534
Crimson Trace LG-445 SPRG XD (.45ACP) Poly Grip, Om Fa
$229
Taurus PT145 Pro Pistol .45 ACP 3.25in 10rd Black 1-145031P
$327

kirgi07

• Acting as a Curmudgeon unless otherwise specified.
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2011, 11:35:51 pm »

Those pistols are priced that way for a reason.The only Tauras pistols I'd own are revolvers,there semis are ungainly and unreliable. Ought 7.
If you look like food you will be EATEN.

I'd rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6.

Mountain Prepper

• Observation, logic, communication, and acceptance is the only rational path.
  • Crafty Mountain Coyote
    • Rocky Mountain Preparedness
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2011, 12:25:55 am »

CDNN has the FNP45 USGI for $546 at the moment.

That is two 14 round mags and one 15 round mag with the hangun in the box new.

(the USG FNP45 is the one the FNX is modeled after - best of 1911, Glock, Steyr, High Power, and Walther features)
http://mountainpreparedness.blogspot.com

The majority of the populace remains willfully and blissfully ignorant of the fact that they are simply trained monkeys owned by the oligarchy. The act of voting is only another delusion to distract, similar to sports, controlled media manipulation, and religion. Nothing is ever fixed because normal is both mediocre and cowardly.

lee n. field

« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2011, 11:58:32 am »

Bill's End the War on Freedom got the Ruger 1911 up-- Ruger SR1911 45ACP Semi-auto-pistol
@ $799

I looked around...below... almost $400 more for the Ruger brand?
Worth it?  Or is it just cool for those who'll  pay?

= = =
"You can buy an average 1911 pistol made by the Rock Island Armory. It is a 1911A1 design and
it costs $439.95 and it is on sale by J&G Sales gunstore in Arizona. They can ship it to your local
FFL dealer and your dealer will perform a background check, and then hand it over to you.
Here is the link below"
http://www.jgsales.com/index.php/handguns/1911-style/cPath/16_365?osCsid=a38a29e92a2da2de672f268aca18e87e

CAI Shooters Arms 1911 Military 45ACP. (New Lower Price)      2-1216xqx     
CAI Shooters Arms 1911 Military 45ACP. (New Lower Price)   
$429.95

Based on what I've read, and depending on where the price settles down, I'd buy one.  Ruger's likely to be around longer.
"Woe to you who desire the day of the LORD! Why would you have the day of the LORD? It is darkness, and not light,"  Amos 5:18

MamaLiberty

• It's not that people are dumber, it's that stupidity used to be more painful.
  • Administrator
  • Individual Sovereign/ Personal responsibility
    • The Price of Liberty
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2011, 12:28:05 pm »

Got to get my oar into this discussion a little.

The only semi-automatic I'll own is a Springfield XD. I have one in .45 - now looking for a 9mm compact for CC.  The only problem is finding one without "papers."

.... going back into my cubbyhole now. :)   :rolleyes:
But, in the end, I live and therefore I am. I don't need any other person's permission to live or defend myself. I don't need anyone's vetting of my intentions or sanity, nor approval for the self defense tool I choose or how I carry it.

I don't NEED to explain myself. I don't NEED any reasons at all.

Rarick

• Rarick in the Gulch-O-Dome did decree.......
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2011, 07:48:45 am »

Watching.......
........Duct tape is like the force, it has a light side, a darkside and holds the universe together.  It is theoretically reinforced with strings too.  (The dome has a darkside, lightside and strings of rebar for reinforcement too!)
-------------------------------------------
Most of the time news is about the same old violations of the first principles of consent and golden rule with a dash of force thrown in........

gridboy

« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2011, 08:34:52 am »

I think I read the Springfield Armory and the Ruger 1911s have no firing pin lock,
instead using light titanium firing pins to prevent going off if dropped.
I think the Rock Island Armory guns have no firing pin lock and
a standard firing pin, so could go off if dropped.  I think most of
the other brands use some kind of firing pin lock.  I prefer simplicity.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up