The Mental Militia Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

A welcome from Elias for all new members!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Joel Skousen: Strategic Relocation  (Read 2222 times)

Basil Fishbone

• Administrator
    • http://
Joel Skousen: Strategic Relocation
« on: March 27, 2011, 06:30:22 pm »

Joel Skousen on considerations in relocating to safe places in the coming turmoil.   In the end, he thinks the Rocky Mountain West is where it's at.  He picks up on something I have said, which is little understood: the Rocky Mountains provide a shield against the Arctic storm fronts which sweep down the center of the continent.  For northern tier states, the mountain valleys of the intermountain west have winters which are not bad, considering the latitutude.  ~Basil

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a6MPMNy-xp8&feature=related

Joel Skousen: Strategic Relocation - North American Guide to Safe Places 4/5 ...<snip>...

Moonbeam

• Faith Hope Love
  • I am blessed!
Re: Joel Skousen: Strategic Relocation
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2011, 01:41:54 pm »

... the Rocky Mountains provide a shield against the Arctic storm fronts which sweep down the center of the continent.  For northern tier states, the mountain valleys of the intermountain west have winters which are not bad, considering the latitutude.  ~Basil

So one would be shielded, more or less, if they are located on the southern side or eastern side of the mountain ranges?

PS - I remember visiting my uncle when he lived in Boulder and being so impressed that I could stand outside in a basically a thin, long-sleeved shirt in 40 degree weather and not feel *cold.*
I'm not where I want to be, but I'm better than where I was!

Freedom is not being able to do what you want to do; freedom is being able to NOT do what you don't want to do.

"We must not amuse ourselves with the notion that we have done something when we have only formed a good resolution. Power comes by doing and not by resolving." Charlotte Mason

"Don't hurt people and don't take their stuff." Courtesy of FreedomWorks

Basil Fishbone

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2011, 02:02:05 pm »

So one would be shielded, more or less, if they are located on the southern side or eastern side of the mountain ranges?

PS - I remember visiting my uncle when he lived in Boulder and being so impressed that I could stand outside in a basically a thin, long-sleeved shirt in 40 degree weather and not feel *cold.*

Yes, although these are mountain valleys, surrounded for the most part by mountains on all sides.

That has to do with the relatively low humidity found in the Rocky Mountain West.

Shanks Mare

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2011, 10:18:17 pm »

How do you grow food in the mountains??? How do you grow enough feed for stock???  All of the places where you can do "this", is already taken, and folks already live there.

Do you actually think this idea is some kind of secret?? Find a cave, move into it, see how long you can live without outside support.

I live in such a place, I still have snow on the ground this very day, and yes the Arctic Blasts DO affect our weather, usually with unbearable cold, and frozen pipes. 

Prep,  but know your limitations.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2011, 10:53:22 pm by Shanks Mare »
The man who follows the crowd will usually get no further than the crowd

Radio Flyer

« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2011, 10:49:59 pm »

How do you grow food in the mountains???

Depends on the area, our area is quite fertile with a reasonable growing season. Higher altitudes and other areas not so much.

How do you grow enough feed for stock???  All of the places where you can do "this", is already taken, and folks already live there.

Yep, we do...

Do you actually think this idea is some kind of secret?? Find a cave, move into it, see how long you can live without outside support.

A good question...

Shanks Mare

« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2011, 11:07:51 pm »

But do you do so without Mechanical Means???

Of course, you may live much farther south than I, or at a lower elevation, although my elevation isn't quite that high, but we do indeed live in a "snow belt", and get quite a bit more snow than surrounding areas.

A "not so long" growing season...but the soil, with proper handling, does well.

Basil Fishbone

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2011, 11:15:35 pm »

How do you grow food in the mountains??? How do you grow enough feed for stock???  All of the places where you can do "this", is already taken, and folks already live there.

In Western Montana (for instance) there are high mountains which are generally not suitable for much of anything except ski resorts, and the like.  Some modern survivalists have established retreats (on their private property) way back in, but you'd better be very well prepared in all ways...

People mostly live in the valleys, surrounded by mountains.   If you wish to join them, either buy property or find a place to rent... In the valleys, if you have water rights, you can definitely grow enough feed for stock.  People do grow gardens all over the valleys of Western Montana.  A cold frame or greenhouse would help. Long summer days are productive. Actually, the river valleys of SE Montana have quite long growing seasons, and land is cheaper there, so that is a consideration.

We had a hard winter, worst in quite a while, but the snow drifts and ice are finally gone from around my house.  We will continue to get spring snow storms.

Shanks Mare

« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2011, 05:48:30 pm »

Too much advertising, and its going to get crowded.....and you won't have the solitude you were looking for when you moved there.

Basil Fishbone

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2011, 06:26:53 pm »

Too much advertising, and its going to get crowded.....and you won't have the solitude you were looking for when you moved there.

I was born in Montana, roots several generations deep.  But yes, your point is apropos.  The movie A River Runs Through It (Robert Redford) convinced lots of yuppies to take up fly fishing and move to Montana.  And currently, people interested in freedom are congregating here, and have been for several years.  Still, Montana has less than a million people. Some of the mountain valleys are getting a bit crowded, but others are still pretty sparsely populated.  Job availability is the determining factor. Lots and lots of people would like to live in Montana, actually, but can't make a living here.  Eastern Montana is mostly losing population.  I expect some of the leftists will decide to migrate to more hospitable climes before this is all said and done, and that should help the population pressure.  If you want solitude, you can still get it in Montana.

SoundTheBell

« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2011, 04:52:08 am »

Basil you hit the nail on the head.
We'd love to move out there to Wyoming or Montana, but there's nothing in my father's or my husband's fields of work.
We can't move the two families out there and become self-sufficient overnight, so there needs to be work to provide an income.
We looked around on real estate sites out there and found some acreage that we'd love to look at in person, but there's no work.

Shanks, if you dislike it so much (going by how passionate you seem on bashing the place), why do you stay?

Basil Fishbone

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2011, 10:22:57 am »

Here is information on technology jobs available in Bozeman, Montana.  Check out the rest of this site also.  This is dated, but maybe still useful.

http://www.montana-alliance-for-liberty.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=31&sid=f9b553ebc4f9f3aee877bbee30583675

Pages: [1]   Go Up