The Mental Militia Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Shun List  (Read 5292 times)

Bill St. Clair

• Techie
    • End the War on Freedom
Shun List
« on: August 06, 2010, 06:43:54 am »

I'm starting this topic mostly as a reminder to myself. When FAL Guy started insulting people again, I vaguely remembered shunning him a while back, but I had to search my posts to discover whether my memory was correct. It was. So I'm going to use this post to list the members I'm shunning. I encourage you to do the same, if you want. Create a single post in this thread, and edit it when you add or remove someone from your shun list.

Note that I don't shun people for having opinions that disagree with mine. If everyone agreed with me, I wouldn't have to be here. I DO shun people for egregious incivility. I hope that remains rare.

Unless someone I care about objects, I'll pin this thread, so it's easy to find.

Shun List
=======
FAL Guy
"The state can only survive as long as a majority is programmed to believe that theft isn't wrong if it's called taxation or asset forfeiture or eminent domain, that assault and kidnapping isn't wrong if it's called arrest, that mass murder isn't wrong if it's called war." -- Bill St. Clair

"Separation of Earth and state!" -- Bill St. Clair

Leonidas the Younger

Re: Shun List
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2010, 07:07:03 am »

Good idea Bill. Hopefully it will take, and then when FAL Guys threads constantly sink to the bottom due to inactivity maybe, **MAYBE**, he will get half a clue and start to change his behaviour.

But please do not ask me to hold my breath.

Leonidas
-- It may soon be time to say: "I plead the second."; are you ready?
-- What have you *DONE* for freedom today?
-- Collectives may exist under individualism, but individuals are not suffered to exist under collectivism.
-- I don't beg anyone for my freedom any more.  It isn't theirs to give me.  It's mine to take and to live. - Lightning.
-- Educated men are as much superior to uneducated men as the living are to the dead. - Aristotle

gaurdduck

« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2010, 09:56:53 pm »

Shun List
======
Secret Six
IndianBellRanch
oxi
DOCTOR FUNGCOOL
katrinebonn
FAL Guy

Jarel

• restackthedeck.wordpress.com
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2010, 10:06:44 pm »

At what point in the shunning does one become a censor? Just asking.
"Did you exchange a walk-on part in the war for a lead role in the cage?" Pink Floyd

"and if you don't like the way I'm livin', ya just leave this long-haired country boy alone"--Charlie Daniels

"perfectio propter imperfectionem." -- 'perfection requires imperfection.'

Carpe Libertatem

gaurdduck

« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2010, 10:18:04 pm »

At what point in the shunning does one become a censor? Just asking.

It's an impossibility. To shun is a personal choice while censorship is preventing others from interacting when they wish to.

Jarel

• restackthedeck.wordpress.com
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2010, 12:38:24 am »

Ok, but, in a forum like this, when one is asking for support to shun, does one feel justiified in censoring then? Or does it take more than the initial? the secondary? the  tertiary? Who shuns whom? ??? :
« Last Edit: August 07, 2010, 12:45:00 am by Jarel »
"Did you exchange a walk-on part in the war for a lead role in the cage?" Pink Floyd

"and if you don't like the way I'm livin', ya just leave this long-haired country boy alone"--Charlie Daniels

"perfectio propter imperfectionem." -- 'perfection requires imperfection.'

Carpe Libertatem

gaurdduck

« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2010, 01:51:53 am »

You're still free to interact if you want to, but I agree that assholes should be shunned. I'm not censoring, just ignoring to make a point.

Rarick

• Rarick in the Gulch-O-Dome did decree.......
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2010, 04:31:17 am »

Ignoring/shunning is not censorship.  A guy can stand on the villiage green and say whatever he wants, if people ignore or listen is up to the passers by.  Censorship is when the police show up and tell him to shut up or else......  (whether there ids a law or not is immaterial)  One way- no one is silencing him, the other way someone is.

I have no idea who I have shunned/ ignored, it has been few and far between.
........Duct tape is like the force, it has a light side, a darkside and holds the universe together.  It is theoretically reinforced with strings too.  (The dome has a darkside, lightside and strings of rebar for reinforcement too!)
-------------------------------------------
Most of the time news is about the same old violations of the first principles of consent and golden rule with a dash of force thrown in........

Leonidas the Younger

« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2010, 05:49:03 am »

The right to speak does not equal the right to be listened to.
-- Collectives may exist under individualism, but individuals are not suffered to exist under collectivism.
-- I don't beg anyone for my freedom any more.  It isn't theirs to give me.  It's mine to take and to live. - Lightning.
-- Educated men are as much superior to uneducated men as the living are to the dead. - Aristotle

Mr. Dare

• Administrator
  • My Strawman will beat hell out of yours any day!
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2010, 12:54:01 pm »

Precisely. :thumbsup: If a person decides to shun someone on an internet forum, they are making a personal choice not to listen to a speaker at all period. I don't practice this myself, I listen to whom I please when I please. So far no one has pushed me to the point I will not listen to anything they say ever. Even in the rare instances I have voted to ban a member, it is because they have shown malevolent intent toward our forum and repeatedly violated the rules of decorum they agreed to abide by when they singed up. That does not mean I would not listen to them on another forum, or refuse to respond. They might not like what I have to say in return, but that is their risk when they choose to speak in my hearing. If I choose not to respond it is because I have nothing to add, am not interested in the subject, or am too tired to screw around with it at the time. I can conceive of actions so egregious that I would refuse any further contact with a person no matter the circumstance, but they are not likely to crop up on an internet forum. Others are of course free to shun or not as they please.
"He's no fun, he fell right over!"
"I've got Deku Nuts coming outta my ass and I still can't kill this bastard!!!" (my sweet wife...)
"The road to Hell is paved with happy plans..."
"I do not avoid Twinkies, Duck, but I do deny them my essence." Joel

Moonbeam

• Faith Hope Love
  • I am blessed!
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2010, 02:13:21 pm »

Excellent point. Moreover, perhaps asking others to shun fellow TMM'ers should be withheld. Individual choice can be a beatiful thing...
I'm not where I want to be, but I'm better than where I was!

Freedom is not being able to do what you want to do; freedom is being able to NOT do what you don't want to do.

"We must not amuse ourselves with the notion that we have done something when we have only formed a good resolution. Power comes by doing and not by resolving." Charlotte Mason

"Don't hurt people and don't take their stuff." Courtesy of FreedomWorks

Leonidas the Younger

« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2010, 06:05:05 pm »

*sigh*

Are you for real, Moonbeam?

Leonidas

RagnarDanneskjold

• Four-Leaf Order of PSM
  • Administrator
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2010, 08:27:17 pm »

Excellent point. Moreover, perhaps asking others to shun fellow TMM'ers should be withheld. Individual choice can be a beatiful thing...

You can exercise individual choice by choosing to shun or not to shun in response to someone's request.

It seems to me part of the process of shunning is stating your claim as to why you are shunning and why you are requesting others to participate. This also gives the potential shun-ee the opportunity to speak in his defense if he cares to do so.
The Mayor is the Problem
The flagpole is the answer
We hung the first one
We can hang another one

The Firesign Theatre - from the album Boom Dot Bust

Dear Government
You are a ass shit.

A note from my younger son when he was 3.

When rights are outlawed, only outlaws will have rights. - Me

Round up everybody who can ride a horse or pull a trigger. Let's break out some Winchesters.  - John Wayne (Chisum)

gaurdduck

« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2010, 11:19:31 pm »

Or, I could freely choose to ask others to join me in shunning someone, and you could choose to ignore my request just as easily.

Moonbeam

• Faith Hope Love
  • I am blessed!
« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2010, 12:42:32 am »

In my opinion, when I read a post that asks others to shun another member it reminds me of elementary stuff. I think it's rather silly...
« Last Edit: August 22, 2010, 12:56:14 am by Moonbeam »
I'm not where I want to be, but I'm better than where I was!

Freedom is not being able to do what you want to do; freedom is being able to NOT do what you don't want to do.

"We must not amuse ourselves with the notion that we have done something when we have only formed a good resolution. Power comes by doing and not by resolving." Charlotte Mason

"Don't hurt people and don't take their stuff." Courtesy of FreedomWorks
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up