The Mental Militia Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Gamma-Seal Lids  (Read 2985 times)

Claire

• Plain Folks
    • Living Freedom
Gamma-Seal Lids
« on: September 19, 2004, 04:59:16 pm »

I use Gamma-Seal Lids on my six-gallon storage buckets. Once the bucket is opened, these lids make it very handy to use the goods inside without all the old cussing, prying, fingernail-tearing routine you have to go through with the lids the buckets arrive with.

The Gamma-Seal consists of a ring you snap (or gently hammer) around the bucket rim, then a well-made twist-off lid that fits into the ring.

Now, the rosy part said, can one of you handi-dandy figurer-outers help me? Once the bucket is empty, I may want to use it for something else. Sometimes the Gamma-Seal ring is loose enough that you can just grab it and pull it off. But I've been out on my deck this afternoon fighting with one that won't come off even with pry bars and wedges. Any brilliant ideas?

The smart thing might have been to simply re-load the bucket with food and not try to remove the Gamma-Seal. But I've already used the bucket for gravel-toting. So that's out.
Just as the flattery of friends often leads us astray, so the insults of enemies often do us good. -- St. Augustine, Confessions, Book IX, Chapter 8

When faith ceases to be a challenge to the standards of polite society, it is no longer, or has not yet become, faith. -- Donald Spoto, Reluctant Saint:  The Life of Francis of Assisi

My life is my message. -- Gandhi

Alton Speers

Gamma-Seal Lids
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2004, 08:44:04 pm »

Got a galvanized tub or other big container? Maybe even the bath tub will work. It needs to big enough to put your Gamma Seal in. Fill the tub with boiling water just high enough to completely cover the Gamma Seal ring on the bucket. Also add enough dish soap, Simple Green  or some other kind of soap to the boiling water (after you take it off the stove) to make the water feel slippery. Stick the mouth of your bucket into the tub and hold it there for about two minutes. This ought to heat it and expand it enough to pull it off. This sounds like a lot to do but it's not. You do have to move smartly though to make sure the water doesn't lose too much heat. You may still have to pry some but this should work.

Alton

Claire

• Plain Folks
    • Living Freedom
Gamma-Seal Lids
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2004, 09:11:55 pm »

Got a galvanized tub or other big container? Maybe even the bath tub will work. It needs to big enough to put your Gamma Seal in. Fill the tub with boiling water just high enough to completely cover the Gamma Seal ring on the bucket. Also add enough dish soap, Simple Green  or some other kind of soap to the boiling water (after you take it off the stove) to make the water feel slippery. Stick the mouth of your bucket into the tub and hold it there for about two minutes. This ought to heat it and expand it enough to pull it off. This sounds like a lot to do but it's not. You do have to move smartly though to make sure the water doesn't lose too much heat. You may still have to pry some but this should work.

Alton
Aha! Thank you, Alton Speers!!! I suspect even hot tap water would do. We'll beat that Gamma Seal lid yet ...
Just as the flattery of friends often leads us astray, so the insults of enemies often do us good. -- St. Augustine, Confessions, Book IX, Chapter 8

When faith ceases to be a challenge to the standards of polite society, it is no longer, or has not yet become, faith. -- Donald Spoto, Reluctant Saint:  The Life of Francis of Assisi

My life is my message. -- Gandhi

Julian

Gamma-Seal Lids
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2004, 09:35:38 pm »

Before going through all that fuss, try heating the ring with a heatgun and pulling it off.  The combined effects of expansion and increased flexibility should make it fairly easy to take off, but put on some good gloves before grabbing that ring!  :o

Julian

merlin419

• 57th Overlanders Brigade
Gamma-Seal Lids
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2004, 06:33:48 pm »

I never treid the heat but used a hammer and a block of wood. It's an old carpenters trick to put the wood against the object to be forced and hit the block of wood. No damage to the seal and it still comes off.
"Shepard Booke use to tell me," If you can't do something smart then do something right" "Jayne Cobb.

RFC member.

"I'm just a peckerwood who lives in the woods with too many guns."  Bob Lee Swagger

Alton Speers

Gamma-Seal Lids
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2004, 05:54:29 am »

Merlin419,

I've tried that on the standard lids that come with those buckets. Didn't work too well. I think it had more to do with the age and formulation of the plastic than anything else. My lids ended up getting chipped or cracked. When the lids are newer this has never been a problem. The Gamma-Seal lids may be different and could handle hammer/block method.

Alton
Pages: [1]   Go Up