The Mental Militia Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Golden State Arms .308 bolt action?  (Read 5046 times)

Jac

• CPC? I'd tell you, but I'd have to kill you...
    • http://www.russmo.com
Re: Golden State Arms .308 bolt action?
« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2007, 03:14:39 pm »

Thanks for the information on the sear Security Six, and the bolts, the bolts especially.

I've dealt with Numrich before and they are a great company, I'll just replace the bolt when I get the rifle back.

I must say that this forum is kick ass, 6 years with a bum rifle and in three days the problem can be solved, that rocks!

My bro was pissed when the Bozo in Question pulled this garbage, so that night he ordered a Enterprise Arms sear made in America, stamped on it is a made in the USA mark. The Bozo does have the STG-58 pistol grip part that he was supposed to install on the Century Arms FAL to replace the crappy thumb hole stock, I doubt that he did it.

Would the stock count as 1 part?
Someone who knows more about this can confirm this, but I'm 99% certain furniture counts as one part to the ATF.
I have never regretted that I chose to "take the red pill." But there are days, just rarely, when the truth is so ugly, so brutal, so unmerciful, so relentless, that even if I wouldn't rip the truth from the wall socket and hurl it out the window to crash on the sidewalk below, I wouldn't mind if it featured a snooze button so we could savor just a few more moments in slumbered pretension and warm, fuzzy lies pulled snugly up over our heads.
--PSM

securitysix

• Self Proclaimed Champion Thread Derailer
« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2007, 03:44:03 pm »

Buttstock = 1 part
Pistol Grip = 1 part
Fore end = 1 part

In other words, the entire "furniture set" is 3 parts.
"That's what governments are for; get in a man's way." - Malcom Reynolds

"This country has come to feel the same when Congress is in session as when the baby gets hold of a hammer." - Will Rogers

Not a TMM member

« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2007, 03:49:30 pm »

A
« Last Edit: September 20, 2007, 04:06:21 pm by Not a TMM member »
Not sympathetic to the tinfoil hat crowd.

padre29

• Cavaliere d' Onore
  • Civily Dead
« Reply #18 on: March 27, 2007, 03:52:33 pm »

Buttstock = 1 part
Pistol Grip = 1 part
Fore end = 1 part

So, it would be a reduction of 3 parts to have that installed. I believe that there is a kit somewhere designed especially for the Century Arms models, the last time I checked into it they were somewhat pricey.

I'll have to dig out BTP "Gun Bible" he had a long list of the parts that were made in America.

Either way, that has to be done soon, when the 08 "elections" roll around it may not be possible to even buy a pricey kit, let alone actually install the thing.

Better him then me.....I favor the Cetme.
Video in Venitur

Gotblog?

http://tthelastcause.blogspot.com/

securitysix

• Self Proclaimed Champion Thread Derailer
« Reply #19 on: March 27, 2007, 04:06:59 pm »

Anything made in USA counts I think.

Not exactly.  There's a list.  Some things count, others don't.

The list:

(1) Frames, receivers, receiver castings, forgings or stampings
(2) Barrels
(3) Barrel extensions
(4) Mounting blocks (trunions)
(5) Muzzle attachments
(6) Bolts
(7) Bolt carriers
(8) Operating rods
(9) Gas pistons
(10) Trigger housings
(11) Triggers
(12) Hammers
(13) Sears
(14) Disconnectors
(15) Butt stocks
(16) Pistol grips
(17) Forearms, hand guards
(18) Magazine bodies
(19) Followers
(20) Floor plates

If it's a US made part on that list, it counts.  Note that butt stock, pistol grip, and forearm/hand guards are listed as 3 separate entries, so, 3 parts.

The FAL contains 17 parts in that list (assuming a flash hider or muzzle brake) and there's a maximum of 10 foreign made parts allowed (means you have to have at least 6 [or 7 with muzzle device] US made parts on the FAL), any more than that and you can go to federal prison.

Buttstock = 1 part
Pistol Grip = 1 part
Fore end = 1 part

So, it would be a reduction of 3 parts to have that installed. I believe that there is a kit somewhere designed especially for the Century Arms models, the last time I checked into it they were somewhat pricey.

I'll have to dig out BTP "Gun Bible" he had a long list of the parts that were made in America.

Either way, that has to be done soon, when the 08 "elections" roll around it may not be possible to even buy a pricey kit, let alone actually install the thing.

Better him then me.....I favor the Cetme.

My understanding is that the thumbhole stocks were installed to circumvent the law, but if he installs a standard US made buttstock and pistol grip, he has 2 US made parts right there.  TAPCO used to sell a compliance kit that was a US made furniture set (buttstock, pistol grip, handguards) and a hammer/trigger/sear set that covered 6 of the required parts for about $100.  I don't think the set is offered any more, but you can still get US made furniture sets and an FSE (or Entreprise) HTS kit and get 6 of the required parts.  Not as cheap a way to go about it, but it works.  The gun is probably built on a Century receiver, which would make 7 and should put him into the safe zone nicely.  Of course, if the gun was a Century build to begin with, it should contain the correct number of US made parts, and if he replaces their sear with an Entreprise sear, he'll still be good to go without changing parts count.
"That's what governments are for; get in a man's way." - Malcom Reynolds

"This country has come to feel the same when Congress is in session as when the baby gets hold of a hammer." - Will Rogers

Not a TMM member

« Reply #20 on: March 27, 2007, 04:20:55 pm »

O
« Last Edit: September 20, 2007, 04:05:23 pm by Not a TMM member »

padre29

• Cavaliere d' Onore
  • Civily Dead
« Reply #21 on: March 27, 2007, 06:20:23 pm »

Or you could just buy an M1A (BPBUI) or a PTR 91.

We don't see too many ptr's in my area, maybe a year or two ago there were some, but lately the only EBR's at last weekend's gunshow were AR's, lots of AR's, every imaginable configuration of AR....

I like bolt actions for some odd reason, they just resonate with me better.

Video in Venitur

Gotblog?

Not a TMM member

« Reply #22 on: March 27, 2007, 07:57:24 pm »

W
« Last Edit: September 20, 2007, 04:04:42 pm by Not a TMM member »

jack frake

« Reply #23 on: March 28, 2007, 09:03:19 am »

Padre,

I don't know if this will help you with your mauser bolt problem but here's a link to a guy's personal page with lots of info on mausers and other surplus rifles. It's a good read whether it solves your problem or not. Good luck.

Jack

http://www.gswagner.com/

padre29

• Cavaliere d' Onore
  • Civily Dead
« Reply #24 on: March 30, 2007, 08:20:07 pm »

Thanks for the link Jack, seems like light machinery and definetely out of my league though.

Here is all that I can find on Golden State Arms/ Santa Fe Trailmaster .308

A: Golden State Arms Corp. was an importer (not a manufacturer) that introduced a commercial sporting bolt-action rifle based on the Mauser Model 98 large ring-type action. Many of these rifles have the word “Spain” stamped on the left side of the receiver tang in small letters, indicating Spanish manufacture. Four correctly spaced 6x48 tapped holes (two in bridge, two in ring) allow most popular scope mounts to be used on this action. The current value range for this rifle is $225 to $325, based on average condition, and it had better shoot! Try your local gun shop/gunsmith for scope mounts and/or aperture sights, but make sure you bring the rifle with you.

Mine doesn't say "Spain" but it does have the tapped scope holes, and Golden state/Santa Fe made a real hodge podge of rifles, they were sort of the AMC of importers, they would take anything and build anything with spare parts and welded receivers
Video in Venitur

Gotblog?

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up