The Mental Militia Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

A welcome from Elias for all new members!

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Another Use for Diatomaceous Earth  (Read 7742 times)

coloradohermit

Another Use for Diatomaceous Earth
« on: March 05, 2007, 05:47:04 pm »

Posted 2/21/07 on survivalblog.com.
Letter Re: Another Use for Diatomaceous Earth: Curing Bowel Infestations

Jim:

Food grade diatomaceous earth (DE)--not the swimming pool grade-will flush your system of parasites. In addition, the scientific literature states DE is shown to remove methyl mercury, virus and more.
I "accidentally" cured myself of irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) while using it, just in case I had worms. I had been feeding it to my cattle (works great!) and decided to take some myself. No more IBS?
I am no doctor; however, the first thing I would do for ulcers/IBS/Crohns/divertic ailments, would be to dose myself with DE, as I now suspect that microscopic uglies are involved in all bowel disorders due to my results.
"Dirt" cheap from your farm and ranch store (used for a long time to worm sheep/goats/cattle), or in large bags from Internet vendors. As its name suggests-microscopic diatom fossils cut the worms and
their eggs to shreds, or make eggs unable to attach to walls of intestines (will not hurt earthworms).

DE is also great around house for bugs and will kill fire ants-just scoop out and mix it in the ant mound. Expect to pay about a dollar a pound for a ten pound bag.

Mix in water as spray for fruit trees-avoid breathing dust and eye contact.
Use on pets for lice/fleas/mites-put in pet food-1 tablespoon for seven days for dogs under 35 pounds-2 for dogs over to kill internal parasites. An Internet search will show all about it.

Humans: Mix 1 heaping tablespoon per day in water or juice-can take more and more often depending upon ailment.

I think everyone should be on this as an assist during viral outbreaks, [since it is] harmless to humans and animals. Thanks, - Martin P.

This sounds very intriguing and I was wondering if anyone here has had any experience with human ingestion of Diatomaceous Earth.
Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig.

What luck for rulers that men do not think. - Adolf Hitler

Lead, follow or get out of the way.

Ire

• Anarchist
    • Mosslight
Re: Another Use for Diatomaceous Earth
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2007, 06:12:22 pm »

The typical chemical composition of diatomaceous earth is 86% silica, 5% sodium, 3% magnesium and 2% iron
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diatomaceous_earth

Nothing poisonous there...

How does one ingest it? Seems like a simple chalk would need to be in pill, or maybe just mixed with some water and drunk.
There are no heroes, and wishes only come true in fairy tales.

www.mosslight.blogspot.com

Erin

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2007, 06:42:48 pm »

« Last Edit: July 17, 2007, 11:18:52 pm by Erin »

Phssthpok

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2007, 09:41:38 pm »

yeah, but....

It kills fleas in the carpet like a sunuvabich though! :ph34r:

mutti

• Mutti
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2007, 07:35:27 am »

We attempted to apply this theory and it did not work. Perhaps the dampening of the material affected its usefullness. In the goats the ruminant system seemed not changed at all. My application, although not scientific, was a daily dosing mixed in with their grain. I noticed no difference in a float test (measuring worm load) during the 6 weeks vs non usage.

Off topic:

I did find a significant decrease (80 - 85%) of worm load when using BOSS (black oil sunflower seeds) at a 10% top dressing and once monthly 4# freechoice day. Initial application of 4# (for 3 fullsize Nubians) increased worm/egg load count. Daily maintenance amount tested weekly for 4 weeks showed less adult larvae and eggs per float test each time.

My theory (although I am not a veterinarian): The sunflower hulls "scrape" the internal lining of the high intestinal track, removing the eggs which cannot hatch and then are deposited with the fecal matter. There is also a chemical reaction as the shells are crushed that inhibits eggs from hatching (I will have to look up the research page for this).

As long as the grazing area is kept above the "worm target zone" of 3 inches, chemical wormers are used only twice per year. Right after kidding and before breeding.

Just my .02 - but it seems less effective than advertised.

Mutti
“Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.”  Jefferson

"The universe never did make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract." Heinlein

coloradohermit

« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2007, 07:51:12 am »

Thanks for the input. Sounded too good to be true so I did wonder if it'd be a good thing to have on hand for more than the insecticidal purposes for SHTF. Always interested in personal experience on such matters. 
Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig.

What luck for rulers that men do not think. - Adolf Hitler

Lead, follow or get out of the way.

mutti

• Mutti
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2007, 08:02:50 am »

For our family..we do the fiber thing and our children like pumpkin seeds. For the scouring action, you can't beat them.

Mutti
“Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.”  Jefferson

"The universe never did make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract." Heinlein

Ire

• Anarchist
    • Mosslight
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2007, 11:29:45 am »

Just curious, but how exactly does a human get intestinal worms?
There are no heroes, and wishes only come true in fairy tales.

www.mosslight.blogspot.com

mutti

• Mutti
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2007, 06:19:30 pm »

Children tend not to wash their hands after (whatever) here. While we have never had a case of worms in our children, the most commom worm out here would be a tapeworm - which would be carried in the fecal matter of any warm blooded creature.  The "hot zone" is commonly considered 2.5" high due to the lifecycle of the parasite. Our children play in the pastures, etc.

Mutti

freewoman

« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2007, 07:33:32 pm »

I lived in Peru for 3 years.  Worms are fairly common there, due to lack of septic systems.  Papaya seeds were recommended for de-worming.  They can be dried and used like black pepper as well.  I plan to grow a couple of papaya plants in a greenhouse eventually, when I move up north.  They're heavy feeders and send out large root systems, so you need to keep them contained.  But each plant can produce a lot of fruit.  I hope to get some seeds going while I'm here in FL.

Minotbob

• Provisional
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2009, 10:34:22 pm »

DE will kill parasites/bugs by scratching their exoskeleton and they dehydrate. I take it daily in my cereal or in my OJ for breakfast. Sure keeps me regular and I have noticed not as much joint pain first thing in the morning.
MinotBob
Pray for Obama. Psalm 109:8

gaurdduck

« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2009, 11:50:35 am »

DE is also an ingredient in the original version of stump removal sticks, AKA Diatomite, IIRC; the predecessor(?) of Dynamite.

jamie

« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2011, 03:07:58 am »

DE will kill parasites/bugs by scratching their exoskeleton and they dehydrate. I take it daily in my cereal or in my OJ for breakfast. Sure keeps me regular and I have noticed not as much joint pain first thing in the morning.

Thread revival.   http://wolfcreekranch1.tripod.com/diatomaceous_human_use.html 

Food grade diatomaceous earth has excellent health benefits for humans. Taken daily, it helps eliminate all intestinal worms and parasites from the body and keeps the bowels clean. Food grade DE is also known to sweep some bacteria out of the system, but DE does NOT kill the beneficial bacteria in the gut. Most people who consume food grade DE take it on a daily basis, ourselves, employees, and children included. DE contains 15 naturally occurring minerals that are excellent for the body. These minerals promote healthier, shinier hair, skin and nails.

In 1939, the Nobel Prize winner for chemistry, Professor Adolf Butenandt, proved that life cannot exist without Silica.

In the 2003 book "Water & Salt" Dr. Barbara Hendel stated: "Silica is the most important trace mineral for human health!"

NOTE: ALL references to diatomaceous earth on this page refer ONLY to FOOD GRADE diatomaceous earth, unless otherwise advised. NEVER use pool filter grade grade or diatomaceous earth internally or in your home or on your animals, unless it is FOOD GRADE!
« Last Edit: March 15, 2011, 03:10:43 am by jamie »

Hammer

« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2011, 07:15:02 am »

Stupid question time. Where can I get DE for consumption?
If some is good... more is better... and too much is just about right - me.

In the land of the pig... the butcher is King! - Meatloaf

gaurdduck

« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2011, 07:30:38 am »

Stupid question time. Where can I get DE for consumption?

Read the thread.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up